Chapter 56

There was no sign of life as we made our way across the barren landscape. The architecture was beautiful, built into the rock and ice formations, but it was deserted and that made it a bit spooky. The last time I was here, we were fighting a war and every open space was filled with soldiers. Normally, I could sense when someone was watching me, but I didn't get that feeling. Instead, I felt like we were totally alone. Thor began heading towards the palace, sticking up in the distance. I could hear something collapsing nearby, but no apparent reaction to it. Just our feet crunching against the snow.

As we continued, I felt like I was walking through the ruins of an ancient city, the buildings were amazing, but there was no sign of light or life anywhere. The wind howled as we approached the palace, a fortress built into solid rock. But there were no guards. Now I felt like we were being watched.

"Where are they?" Sif was the first one to break the uncomfortable silence .

"Hiding, are cowards always do." Or smart people waiting for their prey to lower their guard. There was a throne just inside the palace, and although the nothing was moving, it was certainly occupied, his blue–nearly black–skin blended in perfectly with his surroundings.

"You've come a long way to die, Asgardians."

"I am Thor Odinson."

"We know who you are."

"How did your people get into Asgard?" His head turned, revealing his red eyes.

"The house of Odin is full of traitors." I could see movement of other Frost Giants in and behind the fine carvings of the walls.

"Do dishonor my father's name with your lies!" Laufey stood.

"Your father is a murderer and a thief! And why have you come here? To make peace? You long for battle, you crave it. You're nothing but a boy, trying to prove himself a man." The hidden Giants came forward, from all directions. I was the only one they didn't have surrounded, their back were to me.

"This boy has grown tired of your mockery." The Giants began discreetly forming their weapons of frost and all but Thor noticed. Loki finally moved forward.

"Thor, stop and think! Look around you, we're outnumbered–"

"Know your place, brother."

"You know not what your actions will unleash. I do. Go now, while I still allow it." We were treading on very thin ice now. Laufey had explicitly expressed his will for us to leave and if we did not comply, it would mean war. One final guard moved forward, putting himself between Thor and Laufey.

"We will accept you most gracious offer." Loki began walking away, "Come on, brother." He hissed. Now, even Thor seemed uneasy. So he turned, and took a couple slow steps.

"Run back home, little princess."

"Damn." Loki muttered. Now there would be bloodshed. Thor stopped, smirked, and whipped around, smashing the Frost Giant's head and sending him back into the wall.

"Next?" The others attacked and the Asgardians drew their weapons. While just about everyone focused on the giants already present, Loki focused on blocking their entrance by collapsing a pillar, but there were simply too many and it was quickly turning into a nightmare. They made easy work of the giants that were there but then Thor had to go and insult him.

"At least make it a challenge for me!" Another three dozen giant rushed in. Nobody had come here intending to fight so they had no real strategy. They were quickly separated from one another so I joined in for what little good it would do.