Chapter 82

In hindsight, I should've made the connection between the Aether finding a host and Jane being missing, but my frazzled mind at the time prevented that from happening. I all but sprinted out to Heimdall's post, not even having the logic to shift into a faster form. Despite the fact that Thor was larger than me, he had been out of breath from before, so I reached Heimdall before he could catch up with me.

"Arista. I–"

"Where is she? When exactly did you last see her?"

"Not quite an hour before Thor came to me. She and her friends had discovered a dimensional rift and were investigating. When I turned my gaze to them once more, I found her friends in search of her but she was no longer on the premises."

"So whatever happened happened at the sight of that rift."

"Correct."

"Arista!" Thor arrived in the Bifrost, astride his white stallion, "I suggest we take shifts while we wait for her to reappear."

"Fine. I'll take the first shift."

"But–"

"Go! Come back in after sunrise." He opened his mouth to protest once more, but obviously thought better of it, wheeled his horse around, and returned to the palace. Once he was gone, I sank down to the floor of the Bifrost as fear for Jane settled in my soul. I had parted with her at the same time as Thor, and on shaky terms at best. She knew what I was but she hadn't properly processed it yet. When she reappeared, it was no question that she would have to be brought here. Odin would react badly to it, but it was for the best. If Heimdal could not see her, that meant that she was in danger, there were very few places he couldn't view in the universe and all of them held unspeakable danger. Would she forgive me for disappearing again? I'd told her I'd visit and yet, this time, I'd been away for longer. Given the major breach of trust I'd made, it would be very surprising if we didn't have a fight of some sort, whether that was the silent treatment from her or a huge screaming match. She had forgiven me last time. Or had she? I thought about it. She'd given me a hug, she'd spoken to me, but she's never actually said that she forgave me. I buried my head in my hands. How could this have happened? Two years and change ago, we'd been the best of friends, totally inseparable, and now....now I wasn't sure she'd want to speak to me. Or if she'd even meet my eyes. Especially when she was reminded of the name of my husband. The last time I'd seen her, she'd gotten mad at me for getting married, but hadn't seemed too concerned with who he was, but now? After he'd attacked New York? After he'd led an alien army? No way she'd forget that anytime soon. The fact that Thor seemed to think she loved him further complicated the matter. She would see his side of things and wouldn't understand why I was giving him the silent treatment. Just another thing for her to add the her list of grievances against me, I guess.

I don't know how long I just sat there on the cold, golden floor of the Bifrost, but the bodies in the sky shifted slowly until they were out of sight and the light of the rising sun prevented their light from reaching my eyes. Heimdall had been silent after responding to each and every one of my queries and I had had no strength to attempt a conversation. I suppose, in a way, his silence was good. It meant that her dead body hadn't turned up yet, but it was also terrible because it meant that she was still out there, still in extreme danger.

The sound of horse's hooves startled me to my feet and I turned to greet my semi-rested adopted brother-in-law.

"Any news?" I shook my head as he dismounted.

"Return to the palace and get some rest. You have been awake for nearly a day now. Loki would have my head if I allowed you to remain like this."