Chapter 70

After he said that, all hell broke loose on the jet. The female pilot turned to see me, Thor was confused, and Steve stumbled backwards into a seat.

"Jarvis, run facial recognition."

"Already done." The familiar voice said, slightly more automated from the last time I'd heard it, "She is a 100% match for Margaret Carter. She isn't a descendant, she is her. Just as she was during and after the Second World War."

"But....how? How are you still alive? How are you still this young?" He was asking the hard questions right away.

"I can't tell you that."

"But why?"

"I just–" I had started to get mad but restrained myself, "I just can't." Something sharp pricked my side and I turned to see the female agent holding a vial with a few drops of blood inside it, as well as a single strand of my hair.

"You won't have to. This will tell us as soon as we get back to the Helicarrier." I was instantly consumed with rage when she threatened that. Nobody took my secrets from me without my permission. So I surged forward, grabbing the vial and incinerating the hair. Once I had the vial, I threw it to the ground, shattering it and making the blood evaporate. To them, I was just a blur.

"No you won't. I will tell you what I want when I want."

"But how did you get here?"

"Thor brought me with him from Asgard."

"Asgard?"

"Yes." I said simply.

"She is an ally of our people and we have enlisted her help to in the retrieval of the Tesseract."

"Is that why you got involved in World War 2 in the first place? To get the Cube?"

"Yes. I had intended to take it back to Asgard then, but it only just slipped through my grasp. So I left SHIELD and went back to my life. After a couple decades, of course."

"But you haven't answered me. How did you stay young?"

"If I answer you, will you stop asking?"

"Yes."

"Promise."

"Fine."

"My kind are very different, we can regenerate forms that have since aged beyond their prime."

"Wait, your kind? You're not human?!" I flinched.

"I'm done answering questions."

"No you're not! You lied to me!"

"I never explicitly told you I was human. I skirted the truth."

"And how often did you do that?"

"I told you once that I knew I little of what running was like. I know everything there is to know about running away."

"Why is that?"

"That's classified."

"How can that be classified!? Alright, then if you're not human, what are you?"

"That's classified too."

"You mentioned you came from Asgard, is that where you're from?"

"No."

"Then where?"

"That's–"

"Well then what isn't classified!?"

"A few things."

"Fine. Then tell me. Did you really have feelings for me during the war?"

"Again with the hard questions." I muttered, "But you deserve to know. At the time, I did have feelings for you. However, then I lost you. I thought you were dead, and I hadn't achieved my goal. So I had to let you go. I've found someone else now, and I am very much in love you him." Steve crossed his arms.