Chapter 32

To say that Thor was disappointed with Amora was an understatement when he finally returned with our meals and Loki was all too happy to use his presence as an excuse to move into the empty seat next to me.

"Finally." He murmured in my ear, "You look absolutely ravishing, my dove."

"Why thank you, my darling.  I try."

"I apologise about Amora."

"It's fine.  Where did you get the name Eragon?"

"Mother has a large liking for Midgardian literature.  I think it is very amusing, their portrayal of elves and dragons."

"Perhaps we should name my female dragon Saphira."

"Nay, her scales have more variety than mere sapphires.  She deserves a far better name.  What is the word for precious stone in your native tongue?"

"Not a very pretty word."

"Gem?"

"Too long."

"Then any other language you know?"

"Milady, you are awfully silent!" Thor interrupted the conversation, "Do please join us."

"Is it usual for you to have your head in the clouds?"

"As a matter of fact, no." Amora wanted to be snarky.  Well, two could play that game, "I'm surprised you noticed at all!  What, with the older prince right next to you."

"You're one to talk.  You're sitting between them!"

"I'm afraid you are mistaken, Eragon is not Prince Loki.  They just happen to share many physical features."

"Yes, well, any true magic-user would be able to tell that he has an illusion over him.  Or do you not wish to look upon the true face of your prince?"

"I do however, using spells to reveal another's true appearance is forbidden at this event."

"Loki would approve, he is the god of Mischief, after all."

"However," A clone of Loki walked up to the table, "You have overstepped the boundaries.  I am going to have to ask you to refrain from using your magic here, Amora, and to quit badgering the lovely Lady Aria as well as Lord Eragon.  He merely asked to borrow my features for the night so as to avoid a very annoyingly persistent woman whom he has no interest in." Throughout his little speech, Amora had been growing paler and paler by the second.

"Now then, since my brother has granted you the honor of sitting by his side while he eats, I shall adjust your attire to show your gratefulness." With a wave of his hand, her outfit had changed from his colors to Thor colors, much to Amora's displeasure. "Now, if you will excuse me, I have a wonderful woman waiting on me.  Do not let me catch you disobeying the rules again." Loki walked off behind her, vanishing behind a pillar and never coming out.  There was an awkward silence at the table for a few minutes, broken only by the sound of silverware and chewing.  Fandral was the one to finally break it.

"Well, that's Prince Loki for you he knows exactly how to get what he wants and avoid what he does not."

"Indeed." Amora said sourly.

There was no further meaningful conversation while we finished our meals and before I knew it, I was done and the commoners were being allowed in.

"May I have this dance, milady?"

"It would be an honor, Lord Eragon." I took his offered hand and he led me to the dancefloor on the other side of the room.

"That was so painful."