Chapter 26

On my way to the stables, I was intercepted by Loki.

"You are departing already?"

"I must, I have been out shopping for three hours and I want to get a head start on my work there.  This was, I'll get back earlier."

"But I was looking forward to spending the remainder of the day with you."

"I'll make it up to you." I pecked him on the cheek, "I promise." Loki did not hesitate to pull me in for a passionate kiss.

"I'll hold you to that." He whispered in a husky tone.

"Care to accompany me to the stables?"

"I intend to accompany you to the gate."

So he came with me but while I was tacking up Susie, he let Sleipnir out of his stall.  As soon as the bars were gone he and Susie began to butt noses.  Once I was done, we both hopped up onto our respective horses and rode out of the barn.  As soon as we got onto the bridge, Loki accelerated to a trot.

"Race you!"

"No thanks, I'd rather walk and enjoy the ride." Loki stopped and waited.

"You're no fun."

"Do you want me to leave?"

"No."

"That's what I thought." That issue was settled but our slow pace triggered another question from him.

"What did you get?"

"What do you mean?"

"For the ball.  What did you get myself and my family?"

"That would be telling, Loki.  I think you'll find that I like surprises."

"Come on, please?" While he was begging, he was too busy to notice that I had taken my bag off of my shoulder and tied it securely to Susie's saddle, so it wouldn't shake violently or fall free if she began to gallop.

"You know what, a race sounds lovely." Without further warning, I leapt off of Susie, shifting into a chestnut mare and galloping down the rainbow bridge.

"No fair!" I heard Loki shout behind me before I felt him change into a huge black stallion.  Before I knew it, we were galloping side by side, our manes and tails flying out behind us.  I could tell he could go faster than this but he wasn't.  It had been a long time since I had felt so free, so I closed my eyes and just let my legs carry me towards the BiFrost.  When we finally got there, we arrived and shifted back to our normal selves at the same time, giggling with glee.  The only evidence of the speed with which we had travelled was or windswept hair and our labored breathing.  As soon as I began walking towards the far side of the dome, I felt all my energy drain rapidly and suddenly, my legs gave out and I would have fallen to the ground if Loki had not been by my side.

"Arista, are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"You overworked yourself.  I shouldn't have suggested a race."

"No, it's my fault.  I thought I was ready to handle a shift like that."

"I'll come with you to Midgard and spend the first night with you.  I don't want to risk you suddenly being rendered defenceless." I sighed, after a scare like that, I owed it to him.

"Alright.  But you have to go back first thing in the morning and if anyone comes to my door you have to hide and–"

"I will do whatever you say.  How's that?"

"That's good."  Sleipnir and Susie arrived just as I finished speaking.  They were closer than what was usual for horses and their sides were heaving.  It appears that they had had a little race of their own.