Chapter 59

Asgard

Arista's POV

Picking the rings really hadn't been a problem. Five minutes of looking through patterns and metals that Nichele had laid out. Our eyes instantly fell on a ring of golden metal, a large emerald set in the center, surrounded by diamonds and framed by long strips of onyx. Loki's three colors along with the classic diamonds of marriage. Now, since I not only belonged to Loki, but he belonged to me, he needed a ring as well. For him, it was a bit harder but we settled on a ring that had an intricate golden strip with celtic swirls and designs framed by silver with a hint of yellow.

"Are you certain you do not wish to marry now? It would be perfectly acceptable, from what I understand of Asgardian law." She commented shyly.

"I know, but I think we would prefer to let this be the way it is for awhile. No need to hurry anything. Besides, in my tradition there is a distinct period of engagement and I think I would like to continue that."

Once the sun reached midday, Loki and I went to the throne room and waited. There was a two hour period each day when citizens could seek an audience with the rulers, but there wasn't anything too pressing. In fact, there wasn't anything at all. That is, until the Warriors Three and Sif came strutting into the throne room.

"Allfather, we must speak with you urgently." Then they saw who was on the throne.

"My friends."

"Where's Odin."

"Father has fallen into the Odinsleep. Mother fears he may never awaken again."

"We would speak with her."

"She has refused to leave my father's bedside. You can bring your urgent matter to us." He took my hand and we stood.

"Your King and Queen." They all looked at each other, unsure of what to do for a moment, but then Volstagg knelt, followed by the other three.

"My King, we would ask that you end Thor's banishment." Loki scoffed and advanced.

"My first command cannot be to undo the Allfather's last. We're on the brink of war with Jotunheim. Our people need a sense of continuity, in order to feel safe in these difficult times. All of us must stand together. For the good of Asgard." Sif stood up, an aggressive look on her face, but Hogun and Fandral were quick to hold her back.

"Yes, of course."

"Good, then you will wait for our word."

"If I may. I beg the indulgence of your Majesties, to perhaps reconsider–"

"We're done." Loki's temper was growing short and it seemed to stun them. They stood, completely silent, and the Warriors Three turned and walked away, but Sif stayed, she seemed to be having a staring contest with Loki, who bent forward a bit. I could feel malice coming off him in waves. But Sif just smirked and followed her friends.

"You're dismissed." He told the guards.

"Your Majesty–"

"Go." His tone was so icy it would've frozen the lava of Muspelheim. As soon as they were gone, he came back and sat down, placing me across his lap and began running his fingers through my delicately curled hair.

"How long do you plan to keep Thor banished?" His hand tightened around the locks it was holding, just enough for me to feel a slight tug.

"Are you questioning me?" His tone was hurt, but there was still anger behind it.

"Yes. Remember that I am Queen, and therefore have equal power when it comes to decisions." That seemed to do the trick, he released my hair.

"How long do you think he should stay banished?"