Chapter 31

Chapter 31

The maid, whose name I discovered was Tabetha, picked out my purple, gold, and white mask and a dress of matching colors and highlight from my closet.  It took me almost no time at all to find the proper mix for her eyeshadow and apply it.

"But what of my hair it is far too short."

"I can make it longer and change the color for the night." I handed her my phone with the picture album open, "Pick from one of these and I will apply it.  Touch and swipe the screen like this to go to the next picture and the other way to go to a previous one." she looked at the piece of technology in wonder while I went over and began pulling on my own dress.  By the time I had finished, she had narrowed her choices down to two.  It was an easy decision for me to make for her, one of them contained a large flower and the other did not.  Since this was a masquerade, the flower would have made her outfit far too busy.  The other choice was ladder braids that ran along the sides of her head and rolled into a bun.  It would be fairly simple for me.  So, I applied my makeup with the utmost care and placed a permanent dry spell on them, no matter how much I rubbed it or splashed it, it would not so much as smear without Loki doing a countercurse.

"May I have some clue as to what you will be wearing tonight so that I may coordinate my outfit to match yours?"

"No you may not and I would like to ask one more thing of you."

"Anything."

"Don't use your Bond to find me.  I will do the same.  It won't be any fun otherwise."

"But how do I block you out?"

"You don't.  I'm the more powerful so I block you out."

"Don't do it yet!"

"I won't."

"Then how will I find you?"

"Trust yourself.  I'll see you in four hours."

"Three."

"Then I need to get to work." I wasted no time blocking him off and got back to work.  I made quick work of Tabetha's now-brown hair and began working on our nails.  I did my hands first, making them gold with blue French tips before giving her gold with purple French tips, only the ring fingers were white instead of gold.

"Now, you're going to have to be very careful with them and make sure they don't smear.  I don't have the energy left for another spell.  Do not stay out late tonight, as soon as the morning sun peeks over the horizon, the spell on your hair will become invalid.  Please try not to destroy my mask and dress but do please have fun." For the past couple hours, she had had a glowing smile on her face.

"I won't.  Thank you so much!"  She threw her arms around me, being careful of her nails and my hair, before walking off a bit unsteadily in the small heels I had lent her. 

I took down the barrier a tiny bit for a moment to speak with Loki but not enough for him to sense where I was.

"How much longer?"

"My darling, it began not twenty minutes ago." Oops "Thank you for eliminating all of the women in the room, I shall watch the doors like a hawk." I picked up my mask and tied it on.

"And how do you know I am not already there, staring right at you?  How do you know I am not doing this just to throw you off?" My nails were still tacky but it would have to do.  I took a major risk and performed two spells.  One on my nails and one on my mask so that the mouth would move as I wish it to.