Chapter 97

3rd Person POV

"Before creation itself, there were six singularities. Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of there systems were forged into concentrated ingots. Infinity Stones. These stones, it seems, can only be brandished by beings of extraordinary strength. Observe." The Collector pointed towards one of the holograms, which was showing multitudes of people running in terror from a giant being dressed in golden armor, "These carriers can use the stone to mow down entire civilizations like wheat in a field." As he continued, the hologram showed the entire planet being consumed by purple light.

"There's a little pee coming out of me right now." Peter muttered. Gamora wrinkled her nose and rolled her eyes.

"Once, for a moment, a group of ten powerful beings known as Shifters were able to share the energy amongst themselves, but even they were quickly destroyed by it, along with their entire race." At that moments, the device finished opening the Orb, revealing a small, glowing purple stone inside.

"Beautiful," The Collector murmured, "Beyond compare."

"Blah, blah, blah." While Rocket whined, Gamora turned her thoughts inwards, thinking about what Tivan had said. His version of events was wrong. She didn't know what had really happened, but she knew it had something to do with Thanos. And she knew that he thought there was at least one of those powerful Shifters still out there. But to her, the bigger question was this: How did Tivan know that the Shifters had existed in the first place? Only the remnants of the most ancient civilizations bore even the slightest mention of their existence, let alone that they had at one point possessed one of these stones. However, her thoughts were interrupted by a the servant's voice.

"I will no longer be your slave!"

"Don't!" The servant grabbed the stone and after that, all hell broke loose.

Arista's POV

Dey's ship was far faster and more advanced than I had anticipated, which allowed me to arrive at Knowhere within a few hours. However, that didn't stop me from getting hungry on the way over, nor did it stop the Orb before it reached the Collector. Another safeguard I'd put in place was an alarm if the Orb was ever opened, and moments before I arrived at Knowhere, that alarm went off. However, I had a feeling the Stone was still inside, as it powered my tracker and my tracker was still active. As I began piloting my way into one of the eyes, my vision blurred and I found myself on the cold floor of the ship moments later. I was in excruciating pain, pain that was centralized in my lower abdomen, it was like the pain I'd felt on Xandar, but on a much higher level. With my muddled mind, I couldn't find a reason for the pain, save for the possibility of poison in my food, but Dey's wife had had no reason to poison me. So what was causing this pain? I closed my eyes and curled up in a ball. The Orb was moving again, but I was in no shape to pursue it. I wasn't even in the shape to stand. I would just have to wait this pain out. If it could be waited out at all.

Loki's POV

This security council meeting could not be more dull. They were currently arguing about whether to start a guard shift at midnight or an hour before. Frankly, it made no difference to me. The only thing I cared about right now was Arista. And, well, getting out of here. However, those priorities were forgotten when burning pain erupted in Arista. Even with the Bond nearly closed, I could feel it as clearly as I had last night, and she was much farther away.

"My king?"

"Yes?" I ground out, trying not to let the pain show.

"We have agreed to begin the shift an hour before midnight."