Chapter 86

It wasn't long after that when Odin came along, his permanent scowl plus some on his face.

"I knew you were injured, but I never thought you'd be stupid enough to remain in his cell."

"The only one here who has displayed stupidity today is you. I tried to warn you that the Dark Elves were still out there but you ignored me and insulted me. Then when they arrive, you don't take the proper precautions and it gets Frigga killed. Her death is on you. And I'm told that the Kursed got into the palace from here, because he was a prisoner with a group of Vanaheim marauders. How does something like that even happen? Are your guards so incompetent that they don't notice that another prisoner has just randomly showed up?"

"I was unaware of this. Once this is over–"

"So in other words, you're not going to look into anything I say and pretend you never heard it in the first place. So original. Now, if you don't mind, my husband and I would like to return to our chambers and prepare for the funeral service."

"Not going to happen. I ought to make you stay here, since you elected to do so earlier."

"You don't get any say as to who does and doesn't attend the service. Loki and I were closer to her than you, so if anyone deserves to be there most, it's us."

"Not from where I stand."

"You pig. I should not need to tell you that our presence would be what Frigga would have wanted and to deny her this would bring you down to a level I thought you'd never sink to. But it looks like I was wrong. I have been before and I will be again, but I never thought it would be about this." He clearly wasn't happy that I'd insulted him, but even he had to admit that I'd won the argument and that if he took it to court that he would lose, even with his status as king.

"Very well. You have an hour to prepare, you will attend the service, but as soon as it concludes, Loki will be returned to this cell and you will return to your chambers."

"You are barbaric and cruel but I will take that over nothing."

There wasn't much we had to do to prepare for the ceremony, it was a funeral, not a wedding. Since Loki and I were closer to her than anyone else, our outfits were entirely black. I even changed the color of my hair for the occasion.

"I prefer you as a brunette."

"What, can't handle me looking too much like you?" I morphed into what I imagined his female form would look like, "What about this?" He couldn't look away fast enough.

"That's just plain eerie."

"If you think that's eerie...." I changed once again, making my genetics exactly the same as his, "How's this for double vision?" The door opened unannounced before Loki turned his eyes back to me and Thor poked his head in.
"Brother, Arista–" His eyes snagged on me, a mirror image of his brother, but in a dress, "Loki?"

"What?" Loki's head snapped towards the door, but like Thor before him, his gaze stopped on me, "Valhalla, Arista. That's not funny!"

"It kind of is."

"Not."

"Only when you can't see the look on your face." Thor cleared his throat.

"What?" It was me who snapped at him this time.

"It's time." And just like that, all the merriment was sucked out of me and I remember just why I as here.

During the ceremony, Loki and I stood with Thor, Jane, Odin, and a few of Frigga's closest friends from long ago on the border of the water. I had deliberately taken the bow and arrow from the guard who had been tasked with lighting Frigga's pyre. Odin sent me a look of disapproval, but there wasn't anything he could do about it, as the boat had already been released down the narrow canal. My hands trembled as the time to fire grew closer, and for a few moments, I doubted whether or not I'd be able to make the shot but I felt Loki's arm slip around me. He wasn't feeling any better than I was, but his touch gave me as much comfort as it did him.