Chapter 24

The steel wall was unmarked, there was no indication whatsoever on the outside that someone lived here and yet, I knew that this was the place. There was no door, just a dark entryway. There was no light of any kind on inside, there were no windows, and it seemed like the sunlight stopped at the door. I could not see anything inside. Slipping a hand into my dress, I grabbed hold of the hilt of my dagger.

"Are you going to come in or are you going to stand outside staring at nothing until the sun goes down?" I jumped at the voice. It had come from within. Clearly male, rather deep, but devoid of emotion. I took a deep breath and stepped forward, masking my face so I would appear the same. When I stepped through the door, it was like stepping into another world. Well, back into the palace anyway. The ceiling was high and vaulted, the walls were gold and fluffy carpets covered the golden floor. Well, only about half of the floor, the other half of the room was dedicated to brewing potions. On the carpeted side, cabinets full of every ingredient I could think of and even some I didn't recognize lined the wall. On the carpetless side, cabinets lined the wall in the same fashion only they contained equipment for brewing potions. Bowls of all sizes and materials, Asgardian style bunsen burners, freezing gel, hot gel, equipment for handling liquids, stuff to filter liquids, gas containers, everything. Then, I turned my attention to the man at the desk on the carpeted side. He was near the back of the room, almost in the shadows, in front of a large bookcase stuffed full of books of all thicknesses, heights, ages, and material. The man himself was pale-skinned with a rather large nose, just shorter than shoulder length black hair, and was dressed from head to toe in black robes. When he looked up at me, I saw that he had very dark brown, almost black eyes.

"Shifter. Why have you come here?" I was instantly on guard. Telling someone is a Shifter just by looking at them is nearly impossible. The man smirked, "Do you think the Queen did not alert me of your visit? I would not have allowed you in so freely if she had not."

"But how did you know–"
"That you are a Shifter? It was her part of the deal for me to consider your visit. I think you will find that I demand a very high price."

"I can pay any sum of money you demand."

"I know. Which is why I do not intend to ask for money." He rose and walked over to me. He was very thin but tall, there was no mistaking his confidence by the way he walked, his robes billowed out behind him.

"No matter what is on the list, I require two things from you. A vial of blood and your birth name."

"Never. My name must remain a secret." That bit was out of the question but I still did not wish to give my blood either. Combined with a few more ingredients and injected into the veins of another with the same blood type and they would develop my powers.

"Then we have no deal."

"Why do you want my name?"

"To see just how badly you want the ingredients."

"I can tell you who they are for."

"The Queen stated that they are for the Prince. Since I am aware that Thor has no talent in the art of potions, that leave only Loki."

"Surely you must know that a Shifter would not give their true name for any price? Let alone for a few gifts."

"I do know but first, I must ask. Why have you not yet denied me the blood?"

"I would rather give the blood than the name but I am just as opposed. In the hands of the wrong person, it could cause Asgard to fall. It is the same with my name. I assume you already know its importance."

"Whoever commands you by it, you must obey."

"Exactly. Again, Asgard could fall if it gets into the hands of the wrong person. I trust only myself and my mate."