Chapter 60

Guys, just LOOK at that.  It got released yesterday and OMG.....

Asgard
Arista's POV
Loki had been gone for awhile now.  Longer than I had anticipated.  Not only that, but when I tried to reach out to him through the Bond, I couldn't contact him.  Nor could I find him.  For some reason, he was blocking me.  The sun had long since set and there was still no sign of him.  In fact, by the placement of the galaxies, stars, planets, and other large bodies in the sky, it was nearly time for sunrise!  I didn't feel Loki again until he was back in the palace, by my side.
"Where were you?   You were gone for hours."
"I had to obtain the proper clothing to go to Midgard." I could tell he was lying.  He knew I knew he was lying, but I wasn't going to question him.  I was tired.  That it, until I felt how cold he was.
"You've been to Jotunheim."
"So?"
"Why did you close the link?"
"That is none of your affair."
"What's going on, Loki?"
"Nothing.  Now can you stop?  I wish to sleep while the sun does."

Loki was gone when I woke up the next day, and a palace guard informed me that he was in the throne room and that he had requested to be alone.  But I wasn't about to take the guard's word for it.  I sought out Loki and found that he was not actually on the throne, but he was speaking to someone in whispers.  I didn't recognize the man, but he was dressed in official garb.  He undoubtedly worked for the upper class.
"Arista, I know you're there."
"What are you doing, Loki?  Who is this?"
"His name is not important, but he is going to marry us."
"Now?"
"Yes."
"But what happened to wanting a period of engagement?"
"I have changed my mind."
"Loki, can I talk to you alone for a moment?" I grabbed him by the upper arm and dragged him away.
"What the Hel are you doing?"
"Our fight last night told me something.  You could walk away at any moment."
"But I won't, and you know that."
"I also know that by Asgardian law, a King must have a Queen."
"We are engaged.  That should be enough!"
"I was approached by mother yesterday when I returned and she informed me that I must marry you if I wish to continue my reign.  If I am married and Thor is not, the throne will stay mine even when he returns."
"Then why didn't Odin find Thor a bride?"
"He did.  It was supposed to be Sif.  They were set to be married right after the coronation.  Neither of them knew anything about it, but Mother did.  As soon as Thor returns and Odin awakens, they will be married, he will be made king, and I will lose the respect of the Asgardian people forever!"
"Loki, stop this.  This is totally different from what you said yesterday."
"I know, but as I thought about it, I have decided that I would rather be married to you than merely engaged.  Please, Arista." His dominating, hard demeanor vanished and he was suddenly the broken man I had gotten a glimpse of yesterday.
"Loki....I feel as if I have already married you.  I've felt that way for a long time now, but if you really want to do this, then I will oblige." He let out a shaky breath.
"Thank you.  We can have a formal ceremony later, I just want to have one thing certain and concrete now.  I need something good to happen."

I don't know what I had expected my wedding to be like, but looking back on the majority of my life, it fits with the trend.  Not very big, not very long, just us signing a couple of documents that stated that were were married and that we would rule Asgard together and make our ruling decisions as a couple.  It was over in less than an hour and Nichele had given us simple golden bands, no questions asked.  At last, Loki and I were alone for the first time as husband and wife.
"Go enjoy your day, I can handle the public hours."
"Ok.  I'll see you tonight?"
"You will, I promise."
There wasn't much I wanted to do without Loki so, I sought out the Warriors four in their unofficial 'hangout' room.  I wanted to tell them about our plan to get Thor back, even though I ran the risk of making them hate Loki even more than they did already by telling them the lies he told Thor.  But I had to let them know.  They deserved to know.  But when I approached the door, I almost had my mind changed when I heard the conversation inside.
"Our dearest friend banished, Loki on the throne, Asgard on the brink of war, and yet you've managed to consume four wild boar, six pheasant, a side of beef, and two casks of ale!  Shame on you, don't you care!?"  There was a crash inside.
"Do not mistake my appetite for apathy!"
"Stop it, both of you!  Stop.  We all know what we have to do."
"We must move.  We must find Thor."
"It's treason."
"To hell with treason, it's suicide."
"Thor would do the same for us."
"Sush.  Heimdall might be watching."  I entered the room, silencing all conversation.
"Or I could be listening in."
"What are you going to do with us my Queen?"
"Nothing."
"You would betray Loki?"
"No.  Questioning your loyalties in a time of uncertainty is not betrayal.  I know you would wish Thor back now and you would probably not believe it but so does Loki, however not just yet.  Over the past year, Loki made a correct observation that Thor is not mentally ready to be king.  His actions about the Frost Giants proves that.  Odin sent him to Earth to teach him a lesson, but we feel that he has such a thick skull that he will not learn it without interference so Loki and I have....set something in motion."
"What exactly did you do?"
"Loki went to Earth and told him certain things that will perhaps change his attitude."
"What things?!"
"That Odin is dead, which is technically true, and that he would not be allowed back to Asgard, or we would have war on Jotunheim, and that Frigga has forbidden him back.  Now, I know those last two are lies, but we need to imply to him that nothing will be handed to him on a silver platter anymore."  I was instantly met with shouts of protest, but I waited until they calmed down.
"However, I believe that we should still go visit him.  There are no regulations against that.  Thor still must learn his lesson, I hope you can understand that."  They nodded like chastised children.
"But what excuse will you make to him?"
"I know someone on Midgard.  I haven't seen her since I first came here and I wish to see her now."
"But why so suddenly?"
"We just got married." I held up my hand.
"Oh...."  That was kind of the reaction I got from all of them.
"Then shall we go?  I will be invisible, Heimdall cannot know I'm going as he will undoubtedly alert Loki."
When we reached the BiFrost, Heimdall was facing towards the entrance, as if he had been waiting.
"You wish to travel to Midgard."
"Yes.  We wish to visit Thor, and to bring him back."
"I cannot do that.  King Loki has forbidden all use of the BiFrost until he has 'repaired the damage done by his brother'."
"Well, with all due respect, we don't care what his orders are.  We are going to Midgard."
"You would defy the commands of Loki, our king?  Break every oath you have taken as warriors, and commit treason to bring Thor back?"
"Yes."
"Good."
"So you'll help us?"
"I am bound by honor to our king.  I cannot open the bridge to you." He left the sphere, but his staff remained in the setting, and it was powering up.
"Complicated fellow, isn't he."
"Now what do we do?" The BiFrost powered up.
"Look!" I reached out with the Bond.
"Loki?"
"Arista, where are you?  I cannot find you."
"Where are you?"
"On the overlook to the city."
"So you can see the BiFrost?"
"Yes, why?"
"Forgive me, but.....us getting married made me think of someone and....I have to see her.  I have to see Jane.  Forgive me." The BiFrost activated and pulled us away.  I could sense Loki's anger, but I closed the Bond to prevent him from acting in anger towards me.

Loki's POV
I was trapped.  I had forced her to marry me, and at the same time I had pushed her away.  I hadn't thought.  But I couldn't go after her.  So, I went down to the weapon's vault.  I had to give the Destroyer a task besides fetch Arista back, so I gave it one.  From what I had seen of where he was being held, he wouldn't be getting out anytime soon and the officials of Midgard would know of our existence.  Not only that, but they would try to make contact and trap us in treaties.  I couldn't have that.
"Ensure my brother does not return without Mjolnir.  Destroy everything that ever alluded to his presence and anyone who may have seen him.  Bring Arista back unharmed.