Chapter 87

The next day, Jane and I both slept until well after sunrise. Once we actually got out of bed, we stuck together. We saw Thor briefly, so I could tell him how Kurse had destroyed the shield generator and assure him that it was beyond repair, but otherwise, it was just myself and Jane. It was early evening and we were currently sitting on a bench in the chamber of Yggdrasil's reflection our hands clasped together so I could provide the Aether with the energy it craved.

"What would happen if you stopped giving it power?"

"It would start to draw on your life force, you would start having visions of possible futures, and it would eventually put enough strain on your heart to kill you."

"Do you know how to take it out?"

"No, that's dark magic. Even if I did, I wouldn't until we found a better host for it."

"Why can't you host it?"

"Theoretically I could, but I have no idea how it would react to my genetics."

"I still can't believe you're not human."

"There's a lot of things you wouldn't believe about me."

"Two days ago, maybe. But now, I might believe a little more." I chuckled softly.

"Perhaps so." A clatter of noise approached, effectively ending the conversation.

"Jane Foster." It was the captain of the guard, "You need to come with us." Jane and I stood.

"She isn't going anywhere."

"My orders come from Odin himself. He wants her confined to her chambers."

"One, she's standing right here and two, why? She isn't a threat, nor has she broken any laws."

"It is not my place to question my King's orders. You may take it up with him if you wish, but I will carry out this task." The three guards that accompanied him all had their swords ready to draw.

"No, wait." Jane put herself between us, "I don't want to cause any more trouble. And you need to rest." She lowered her voice a bit, "I can't imagine Loki would be happy if you were brought to him for healing again." I growled at the guards and the youngest one there jumped a bit.

"Fine. I may not take this up with you, but I will be taking it up with Odin. Oh, and if any harm comes to her, Thor's wrath will come down on you so hard you won't know what hit you until I finish you all off."

"Arista!"

"Go. I'll see you soon." I gave the Aether a burst of energy in hopes that it would be enough until Thor got her out. I didn't even wait for them to get out of sight, I just left, passing them with a fast walk intent on finding Thor.

He wasn't in the mead hall or his chambers, and I could find anyone else who seemed to know where he was either. Perhaps he'd already gone to Odin about it?

"Arista!" His voice came from behind me.

"Thor! I've been looking for you."

"What a coincidence. I have been searching for you as well."

"We probably just missed each other several times then. What is it?"

"Why were you searching for me?"

"Odin confined Jane to her room. She didn't do anything, we weren't bothering anyone, he just sent the captain of the guard and three others to escort her back. Said it wasn't his place to question orders. I was going to tell you and then confront Odin."

"I will do that myself. He is already furious enough at you. Perhaps he will listen to me."

"Yeah, good luck with that." He gave me a disapproving look.