Chapter 58

Asgard

Arista's POV

"I asked him to be honest with you from the beginning. There should be no secrets in a family."

"So why did he lie?"

"He kept the truth from you so that you would never feel different. You our son, Loki, and we you family. You must know that. You can speak to him. He can see and hear us, even now."

"How long will it last?"

"I don't know, this time it's different. We were unprepared."

"I'll never get used to seeing him like this." Loki murmured, "The most powerful–" I cleared my throat, "–One of the most powerful beings in the Nine Realms lying helpless until his body is restored."

"He has put it off for so long now, that I fear....You're a good son. You mustn't lose hope that your father will return to us. And your brother."

"What hope is there for Thor?"

"There's always a purpose to everything your father does. Thor may yet find a way home."

"And he will be crowned?"

"Yes." Loki paused, let all emotion drain from his face, and got up to go. However, when he got to the doors, they opened, revealing six of the Einherjar. In perfect sync, they knelt and Odin's right-hand advisor entered the room with Gungnir, the staff of the king. He knelt before Loki, who felt almost taunted. I could feel the sting of tears in his eyes. I looked to Frigga, and so did Loki.

"Thor is banished. The line of succession falls to you. And Arista." Loki looked like he was about to cry. "Until Odin awakens, Asgard is yours." I could feel the shock radiating from Loki as he turned back to the offered staff, to the position he wanted and the status he deserved. Odin's ravens cried and one came to land on his shoulder as he took Gungnir in his trembling hands.

"Make your father proud." He turned back to us slowly, his breath shaky, never taking his eyes from Gungnir, thinking that it would vanish if he did, "My King." I went to him and he finally looked up.

"Arista?" He whispered, "Is this really happening?"

"Yes, my King. It is." He let go with his right hand and knelt before me.

"I cannot demand it of you, but I will ask you." He took my hands, "Will you be my Queen?" I pulled him to his feet.

"Of course. You never even need ask." He let out a heavy breath.

"Thank you. Now we just need to pick a ring. And a date."

Before long, we were alone in our room for the night and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Loki carefully inspecting his face in the bathroom mirror.

"Loki?"

"Even when I am not the abomination I am, those infernal lines haunt me."

"That's your imagination. You look in the mirror and all you see are imagined flaws. You didn't see them until you knew. And besides...." I shifted into a Frost Giant and went up behind him. He jumped, but didn't look away. Cautiously, I took his hand and my low temperature triggered his change as well. Loki looked away from the mirror and turned to me instead. I had removed my contacts, so he could see my eyes as they truly were.

"Why do you see yourself as a monster?" I raised my hand and ran my fingers along the curved marking on his forehead, causing him to tremble slightly.

"Stop." He murmured, "This is wrong." I lowered my hand.

"Why? Because I love you as you were born?"