Chapter 85

All the fire and strength I had used to get up here died out, leaving me writhing in pain on the floor while Odin cradled Frigga's body in his arms.

"Arista?" It was Jane's voice. Why did she sound so far away? "Arista!" Her face appeared above me, "Thor! What's going to happen to her?"

"I'll be fine. But you have to get me to Loki."

"Out of the question."

"It was not a question. I cannot heal myself and now, Loki is the only one on Asgard who possesses the proper level of skill to do so." Thor knelt by my side.

"May I carry you?"

"You have to move smoothly and be careful, but I should be able to handle it.

"Good. Jane, remain here."

Being carried by Thor was much less pleasant that being carried by Loki. I didn't know what I didn't like about it, perhaps it was the bulging muscles, but whatever it was made the ride down to the prisons painful and slow. At last, we descended the stairs and were met by the Warriors Three.

"What happened?"

"I do not know. But I need access to Loki's cell."

"Why?"

"My spine is lacerated. Perhaps worse. If he doesn't help me now, I could become paralyzed." That seemed to shut them up, and Fandral let down the screen.

"Arista!" Thor laid my broken body at his threshold.

"I have–"

"Shh, shh, shh. I know. I can feel it. Just try and hold still." He cradled the back of my head and closed his eyes. A couple seconds after, I felt the pulsing in my head turn to warm tingles, signalling that the cracks in my skull were healing. So much for the easy part.

"Now, this next bit is going to be painful, but I need you to hold still."

"Don't worry. I'll be fine." I grabbed onto the folds of his robes to give me an outlet and he slid his hands under my body and then into it. Using the same sort of charm he would use to walk through a wall, he inserted his fingers into my back, wrapped them around my spine, partially solidified them, and began to pull and flex at my vertebrae. The pain was excruciating, but I channeled it, and temporarily banished the pain and guilt I felt in my heart that Frigga's death had caused. I made no sound, only tightened my grip on Loki's robes. I don't know how long it took him to repair my back, it felt like an eternity but it was probably just a few moments. Regardless of how long it took, once he finished, he withdrew his hands and pulled my body against his, sitting me across his lap and held my head gently on his shoulder. The effort of what he had just done evident in the sheen of sweat on his forehead.

"Just try and be still for a moment." One hand supported me and he was using the thumb of the other to rub up and down the area that had been injured.

"Why did you bring her here?" His question was directed at Thor, "Mother could have easily mended this damage." I winced and I didn't need to see Thor's face to know what he was going to say.

"Mother is–"

"Shut up. Leave us."

"I must take Arista–" I felt the muscles in Loki's neck move and Thor stopped talking.

"Come retrieve us an hour before sunset."

"I have no authority–" Vibrations travelled from Loki's body to mine when he growled.

"Go."

"He means it. Do as he said. Please." I kept my eyes closed, but I heard four sets of footsteps leaving the dungeons. As soon as they faded off, Loki stood and carried me over to the bed, where he sat down and leaned against the wall. His face was emotionless, but I could feel the blinding grief in his heart flowing freely through the Bond. I tried to absorb some of it, but Loki silently asked me to stop.