Chapter 104

True to my word, I waited a couple months before replying to Jane. Since I didn't know exactly where she was or if it would be safe, I delivered it to Stark Tower, figuring they Avengers were basing their activities out of there. We had to have such a gap between the communications to try and keep the attention of the public and the government away from them. Six weeks after sending my reply to Jane, along with a formal letter to the Avengers offering my aid, I got a reply. They wanted me to come to Earth, but that also wanted me to wait a couple weeks. They thought that during that time, the hype that still surrounded me would finally settle. While I'd been waiting to send and receive letters, I'd turned my focus to my rings. They all had different levels of energy, so almost everything I had went into filling them to capacity. However, after I got the two week notice, I put my rings to the side and put my all into getting in the best shape I could.

When Loki returned from the throne that evening, I was waiting for him by the fireplace.

"Hello, love." Loki shed his formal wear in favor of a more lax tunic, "How was your day?" His eyes narrowed.

"You only ask me that right before you have something you want to tell me."

"Am I truly that easy to read?"

"You are to me, and you're slightly out of practice. What is it?"

"I got a reply today. From the Avengers."

"Oh." He sounded almost disappointed, "And?"

"They want me to come to Midgard."

"Are you going to?"

"Of course! I can't just offer my help and then not show." Loki's face fell.

"You know Thor is there, right? And he thinks you're dying. How are you going to deal with him when he tells everyone else?"

"He seems fairly decent, and hopefully would leave it up to me to tell them. But I'm not going to. I can't have them worrying over me for nothing."

"But you'll tell them I'm dead."

"I'm sure Thor already has. Don't worry, I can play the grieving widow."

"Even with your precious Rogers there? If you slip up even once, he'll know something is wrong."

"You're forgetting that they don't know about the baby. I may have accepted it, but I am certainly not over it. They'll believe the lie."

"When would you return?"

"I don't know. I'd have to find a place for the Mind Stone. It's far more dangerous than the Tesseract and HYDRA's technology is far more advanced. I have to get it far out of their reach."

"Just how far?"

"I don't know. We'll see what happens. Hopefully we will fully dismantle HYDRA and then I'll go from there. Maybe lock it up in the Pentagon or Area 51."

"You would lock the stone up in a five-sided shape?"

"One of the most secure facilities in the US."

"But how long will that take? And how do you intend to deal with the demands for information about you?"

"If I had to guess, a few months to a year."

"A year?"

"At the worst, and the public will have to shove its demands for info on me where the sun doesn't shine." Loki got the most confused look on his face.

"Underground?" I snickered.

"You're so innocent sometimes."

"What does it truly mean?"