Chapter 40

Dear readers, I'm trying something a bit new now. Instead of updating TLS and Eagle both on the same weekend, every other weekend, I've decided to update this one on the weekends in between the Eagle updates so you have at least something for you guys to read from me every weekend. And for those of you who haven't checked out Eagle, you should. It's another Loki story and by far my most popular one of Wattpad. The picture isn't mine.

As soon as I arrived on Vanaheim, I changed my features back to that of Tabetha and my clothes to my travelling garb, not specific to one realm or another.  My hair I kept brown but shortened it a bit.  I had a bit of armor on to make it look like I was battle-ready and a sack on my back to make me look like a traveller.  I materialized the staff that Loki had given me so long ago at my waist.

That was when I finally began to observe my surroundings  I was in one of the middle villages, I couldn't risk going to the first one as that could easily be the last.  There was a forest behind me and mountains behind the village in front of me.  There was a temple of worship on the hills to the east as well.  There wasn't anything I could do.  Ammon would contact me once he got close and I would keep a lookout as well.  Until he got here, all I could do was wait.  So, I sat down against a tree next to a little patch of daisies.

At least a third of the time was gone by the time I heard them approaching.  The Enemy's lackeys were never that stealthy to begin with.  However, the people of the village, who were out and about taking care of their daily chores weren't paying them the slightest bit of attention.  Finally, I spotted Ammon in the middle of the pack.

"Itaria?  Are you here?"

"I'm here." There were at least twenty warriors with him.

"We're invisible to the villagers but since you're more powerful than I, you are capable of seeing through my enchantments.  We set the traps here a few days in advance and then activate them from Home Base when we're given the command."

"Good to know." I cloaked myself to all around me, even Ammon wouldn't be able to see me until the others are dead. "How far do your cloaking skills go?"

"They can see and hear each other if that's what you want to know.  I'm invisible to them as well.  And my spells will stay on dead bodies until removed."

"Got it."

"What exactly are you planning?"

"You'll have to wait and see." I drew my blades.  They were travelling in diamond formation with no rear guard.  These guys were known for blindly following orders and if Ammon was being deliberately sloppy, taking them out should be simple.  So I took the easy way out.

"Duck."

"What?!" I didn't tell him again.  I threw my sword like a boomerang, decapitating at least half of them before one screamed in pain as it went down, alerting the others to my presence.  They were instantly on guard, standing in a circle where they thought Ammon was.  I ran forward, grabbing a spear off a dead body and rushed them.  Three more were dead before they knew what hit them and another two fell in the confusion.  But my cover was blown.  The final five had me surrounded and although they couldn't see me, they could smell me.  I was stuck.  Their sense of smell was as sharp of that of a jungle cat.  A jungle cat who didn't need to see its prey to take it out.  All five of them closed in on me at once, leaving me no choice but to shift into one of my most hated forms.  The black widow spider.  Their armor had gaps, especially around the face.  I leapt from one to the other, still invisible, and bit each and every one of them, despite the foul taste that made me want to vomit.  It paid off though. Within the minute, they were all dead.