Chapter 127

The email was an invitation to what was basically a celebration of everything I had accomplished in my life as Peggy Carter, taking place in London in three days, not long before the UN meeting. I wouldn't be able to stay the whole time, but Steve and I would be able to make both events. There wasn't even a question as to whether or not we were going, so we packed over the next couple of days. However, most of our time was spent pouring over the Accords with Natasha and Vision, helping to draw up suggested modifications and changes to be presented to the UN at the assembly.

"Hey!" Someone shouted as we were heading up the steps of the jet. Sam was sprinting towards us with the duffle bag, "I'm coming with!" Steve had extended the offer a couple days ago, as honored guests, Steve and I each got to bring plus ones. I'd been tempted, sorely tempted, to invite Loki along, but given the situation with the Accords that probably wasn't the best of ideas.

Sam bounded up the stairs two at a time.

"Besides, I'm about this far from strangling Rhodes and Tony." While Steve and I had been working with the document, the others hadn't stopped their debates, and it was only made worse by our proposed changes.

"Are you coming with to the summit?"

"No, I'll find my own way back here." We sat down and buckled in for the five hour flight. We'd arrive in London in the early morning, spend a couple hours at the celebration, and head right to the summit, being there right on time for the 1pm start.

As the roar of the engines became almost overpowering and we accelerated rapidly down the runway, I realized that I didn't remember the last time I'd been on a traditional plane. At least six or seven years, before I'd moved to New Mexico, and even then I almost never flew. It was probably more like ten years. The roar dulled, and after we banked a couple times, the plane levelled out. The setting sun was glaring in through the window, so I slid it shut.

And then my eyes fell on my briefcase, containing our copy of the Accords and my laptop.

"Peggy." Steve stepped in front of it, "You should sleep. We can look things over one more time before the summit."

"But you won't be coming, will you?" He'd made a couple comments like that today, changing the 'we' to 'you', subtle things like that.

"No." I knew the answer was coming, but hearing it still made my heart sink, "I'm sorry, Peggy. But the others will be. You're so much more eloquent and this whole thing was your idea."

"I'd just like to have you there. A familiar face." Steve worried his bottom lip between his teeth, "I mean, ultimately it is up to you."

"I'm just concerned that if I'm there, you'll be seen as a secondary leader of the Avengers, even though we are equally in charge. I'll be watching you on TV, I promise." I didn't like his very political reasons for backing out, but the last thing we needed was the two of us at odds. So I accepted it.

"I'm expecting you on the phone with me as soon as I'm done." I began reconfiguring my seat into a bed. One of the perks of travelling on a private jet. That, and being able to come on the plane dressed in lounge pants and a tank top–perfect for sleeping in–without being judged by strangers.

"You got it, Peggy."

The next thing I knew, someone was shaking my shoulder gently, my phone's alarm was going off, and there was no sound of jet engines.

"Arista, we've landed." It was Sam, "Steve is in the bathroom getting changed." He was already wearing a suit, "He wanted you to sleep as long as possible."

"Thanks." Someone had already gotten my outfit for today out and hung it on the outside of the bathroom door, "What time is it?"

"Seven. The reception starts at eight thirty." We were going to have to leave after an hour to make it to Vienna in time. They'd already had to move the start time for the reception so I could make it at all, and I still felt bad that I couldn't stay longer. However, at the end of the day, getting the Accords altered was the most important thing.