Chapter 7: I'll collect my broken things

Laurences P.O.V:

It’s nearly 2 weeks after the accident. Crilly went home a few days ago telling us to update him daily.  Shane is still hardly saying a word, but on the brighter side Kiers no longer on so many pain meds, Luke has finally been transferred to this hospital and we’re allowed to collect our belongings from the police today. “Shane you need to have a shower and eat something” Kier sighs “I’m fine” he replies not looking from Drew. Kier shoots me a concerned pleading look and I shrug. Nothing I do will make Shane move from his chair. “Right Kier?” “yeah” “how are your ribs?” “Holding up pretty well right now” he smiles “okay well are we going to go and collect our things?” I ask “please” Kier sighs contentedly getting up quickly “Shane we’ll go get Luke to come and stay with you okay?” I smile. Shane doesn’t respond.

“I’m really worried about Shane” Kier admits on our way to find Luke “me too I mean Drew could potentially never wake up” I sigh beginning down the flight of stairs “don’t say that” Kier pleads quietly “you know it’s true” I frown “well she said 4 weeks wait until 4 weeks please” Kier says sadly “okay” I agree walking onto our ward shared with Luke “hey Luke!” I exclaim walking up to him “you well rested?” Kier asks “yeah” Luke sighs getting up “Shane duty right?” “you know the drill” I frown walking back out of the ward with him “where are you guys off anywhere nice?” Luke laughs bitterly “police impound” I sigh “great sounds fun why?” Luke asks. I look to Kier he spoke to them on the hospital phone not me “to collect our possessions and to sign the car as a write off” Kier frowns “we’ll be officially vanless” Luke grins sarcastically. At least most of our sense of humours survived “yep” I mutter “what about the gear?” he asks, again I turn to Kier. “we’ll sign a release to Crilly so he can collect any though from what I heard that might not be an issue” “is it that bad?” I ask “indeed” Kier sighs “anyway we should be off!” I exclaim “yeah I did call the taxi already” Kier frowns. Great guess we’ll have to run.

Kiers P.O.V:

Me and Laurence make it to the mini taxi rank outside the hospital breathless. I bend over double. That was a bad idea. Fuck my ribs hurt “how are you r ribs?” Laurence asks worried. So worried, he’s always so worried. I grab the packet of pain medication I’ve been prescribed out of the back pocket of my jeans “they’ve been better” I laugh. I regret that too, fuck. I quickly pop a few pills swallowing them dry and pulling a face which Laurence seems to find hilarious “sorry” he laughs as he walks towards the end taxi “sorry this taxi is for a Mr Kemp” the cabbie smiles “he is I” I smile opening the door and getting in gingerly “whats ailing you?” the cabbie asks trying to making conversation “broken ribs are the most trouble of the lot” I smile “ah I’ve heard they’re bad. Where am I taking you?” he asks pulling out and driving down the winding exit from the hospital “the police impound please”

***

“that’ll be £20” the cabbie smiles as we get out. I hand him the £20 and begin walking towards the building before us “I forgot how expensive taxi’s are” Laurence grumbles “well we’re going to have to get used to that for a while” I sigh opening the door and walking up to the desk “hello I’m Kier Kemp we spoke on the phone earlier” I say to the man at the reception desk. After a quick exchange of details he motions for us to follow him and we step out of the door onto a large lot full of cars. “wow” I breathe taking in the cars spreading for what looks like miles “okay yours is this way” he frowns looking from the identification number on the piece of paper he’s holding to the numbers scrawled on the ground in front of each car. As we follow him the condition of the cars deteriorate until some hardly look like cars “and here we are” he smiles stopping in front of what is supposed to be our van. “t-thats it?!” I ask incredulously looking at the twisted metal in front of us “that’s  it” he confirms. I look at the number plate and realize this most certainly is our van. “can I?” I ask gesturing at the interior “of course” he nods and I step inside through the massive gap in the side of it. The vans empty apart from the mattresses on the bunks and my phone charger hanging from the plug. I lean over the bunk grabbing it. “Laur you want to?” Laurence steps inside and I hear an audible gasp. He looks to the bunk sadly “so many memories” he sighs “I’ll be back inside” the man shouts from outside and we here his footsteps fade into the distance. Laurence climbs onto the bunk and with great difficulty I join him. “I remember the first time we slept here” Laurence laughs I merely nod. I feel a slight chill remembering this is where I was “you okay?” Laurence asks “yeah it’s just-” I point and he follows the direction of my finger to the dried patch of blood on the ground. I notice a few guitar strings and bolts have remained. “it’s on the walls too” he shudders and I look to the side of me and low and behold blood spatters, my blood spatters greet me. I get off the bed fairly quickly “can we get out of here please?” I ask going cold at the thought “sure we just need to check the front” Laurence explains. I nod my expression grim, from what Shane said it won’t be a pretty sight.