Chapter 21: Easy Mistake To Make

Drews P.O.V

A loud knock sounds on the door and I look up from playing my bass guitar “come in” I shout and Laurence pops his head around the door “you can come in you know” I smile “It’s Shanes room too I should probably get his permission” “honestly when has he ever refused you entry to our room?” I ask. Laurence reluctantly steps in and closes the door behind him “so how are doing?” he asks awkwardly “I’m good” I smile quickly playing a pentatonic scale as we talk “you up to much?” he asks, I finish the scale and put down the bass “what’s wrong Laurence?” I ask serious “nothing I just er well me and the guys were talking and we felt it’s probably time to begin rehearsing and stuff so are you ready?” he says quickly “Yeah!” I say excitedly grabbing my bass “slow down tiger” Kier smirks from the door, when did he get here?

“we need to actually get our instruments first” Laurence sighs, oh right they all lost them in the crash. Why are they asking now? “so we were wondering if you were up for a road trip” Laurence smiles “road trip?” “Bristol, I’ll finish packing now” Kier shouts wandering off. I look to Laurence confused “remember the guys in the hospital? Well they’re going to help us out and Crilly lives in Bristol so-” “what about my appointment?” I ask suddenly, remembering my second one is due tomorrow. The first appointment was pretty boring they just went over my health details, family history and what they knew about the head trauma. It was all stuff I’d heard before. “Shane rescheduled it, sorry we probably should have asked” “No Laurence it’s fine, I’ll start packing now!” I grin running to the wardrobe and pulling out shirts “how long are we staying?” “not a clue actually – Kier?!” “what?!” Kier shouts back from the depths of the flat “how long are we-” Laurence’s phone begins to ring interrupting him “NEVERMIND!” he shouts before answering his phone. He signals one minute and I hear “hey Crilly what’s up?” as he closes the door behind him.

Well then, that was useful. Shane soon appears “how much are you packing?” I ask going through my graphic novels now “about four days’ worth, they have a washing machine anyway” Shane has a point. I quickly remove some shirts from my bag and stick chargers and some graphic novels in there for good measure. By the time I’ve finished Shane has already packed his stuff and is returning with our toothbrushes “how do you do that so fast?!” I exclaim shocked. I’ve been packing for twenty minutes by now surely? “Practice, we toured enough” Shane smiles looking slightly sad. He can remember all of that I’ve lost it all. “Crilly says a couple of days” Laurence shouts as he walks past our room. A couple? What does that even mean “a couple means anything up to a week with Crilly” Shane laughs answering my internal question. I nod grabbing my bag and placing my toothbrush in it “are we going now or?” Shane bursts out laughing and I look at him really confused. What was so funny about that? “Kier packing in twenty minutes you’ve got to be having a laugh” he explains “it takes him longer to load his stuff into the car” at the mention of the car I freeze up. I’m going to have to get in the car “we’ve got train tickets don’t worry” Shane smiles giving my hand a quick squeeze. It’s as if he’s in my head I swear!

***

“right that was great Laurence we better be heading off” Shane smiles “eat the food then leaving the washing up, typical” Kier huffs “as if you’ve ever washed a dish in your life”  Shane retorts “you won’t be the one left with the washing anyway me and Luke will!” Laurence taunts “right Drew come on” Shane rolls his eyes grabbing me by the wrist and practically dragging me out of the flat “what was that about?!” I shout. Shane waits until we’re halfway down the stairs before he answers “’arguments’ with those guys can go on for way too long if you let them” he sighs “we’ve got twenty minutes we better walk fast” Shane groans before picking up his pace, I have to practically jog to keep up “how far is it anyway?” “About a thirty minute walk”, great.