Chapter 13: Learning fast

Shanes P.O.V:

It’s getting pretty late by the time I’ve finished showing Drew a few of his favourite bands “you look deep in thought” I state “what was it I play in the band again?” he asks “bass guitar, why?” I smile “It doesn’t matter” he smiles “you know your guitar was the only one that survived the crash one second-” I hop down from his bed and pull out the guitar case from under mine. I carefully unzip it removing the guitar and carrying it over “here you go” I smile. Drew takes the bass from me and looks down at it in confusion “I – I don’t remember” he sighs “no but – here you go” I smile handing him a notebook “what is it?” “it’s your bass notes” I smile. He grins opening it up “I – I don’t really understand” he frowns looking at the tabs.

I suppose this is like looking at tablature for the first time to him. After a quick explanation he has a  brief understanding of it. “you know I could teach you a song” I smile “one of ours?” he asks excitedly “of course” I grin “you taught you palace in flames I think I can remember it, can I?” I ask motioning at his bass. Drew nods passing it to me quickly. Luckily It’s not too out of tune and I wrangle it into tune within minutes “right here goes nothing” I mutter trying to remember. Sure enough most of it comes back pretty quickly and I only have a few gaps where I can’t remember.

Drew still has the tabs to it in the very front of his notebook so a quick read verifies I was right and I learn the bridge I couldn’t remember. “you ready?” I ask “yeah!” Drew grins ecstatic.  I hand him the bass and he immediately makes a hilarious face causing me to erupt into laughter “you alright there buddy?” I ask choking on my words slightly “it’s heavy!” he exclaims staring at the bass his eyebrows furrowed together “and really really long” he adds “yeah it is both those things it dwarfs my guitar” I smile “anyway are you ready to give it a try?” Drew nods uncertainly “okay I’m just going to guide your hands a little at first okay?” I smile walking to the other side of the bed, climbing onto it and shuffling closer to Drew. I lean closer to him his back touching my chest lightly, it feels odd being this close without the intimacy I’m used to, it hurts somewhat.  Drew stiffens at first but soon relaxes.

“argh I can’t do this” he groans frustrated. I can’t see his face but I’d imagine he looks disappointed which breaks my heart a little “no – Drew you nearly had it!” I encourage, Drew sighs before beginning the section again “THERE YOU HAVE IT!” I grin removing my hands from his “do I try on my own now?” he asks shakily “Go for it!” I laugh. Drew immediately makes a mistake sighing deeply before starting again. The second time he plays it perfectly “see thats great!” I smile. Drew turns around to face me his nose brushing mine, he blinks surprised and I can’t help but laugh.

Drew:

I did it! Shane tells me I did great and I actually feel good for the first time since I picked up this blasted thing. I turn to face him and his nose brushes against mine, I blink rapidly in shock and Shane laughs his breath warm on my face “you okay Drew?” Shane asks concerned. I must have zoned out “you smell of peppermint” I blurt my face suddenly turning scarlet “oh sorry chewing gum” he laughs casually no awkwardness present on his half. “play it again” he smiles his breath invading my senses. I nod not sure I can trust my voice, I think it would shake. I hardly know Shane but I feel – I don’t know I feel something.

I play the song again with no trouble “you didn’t look at your notes?!” Shane exclaims shocked, it’s at this point one of the doctors who was around early coughs from beside us. “that’ll be because muscle memory is a different part of the brain to the sections that seem to be affected by amnesia, it’s the same reason people with alzheimer's can often still play instruments” he smiles “anyway I came here to quickly check on you before I left, is everything okay?” he asks plainly “yep it’s good I’m learning a lot” I smile “okay well I’m off then if you need anything call a nurse over okay?” he asks and within seconds he’s gone “people don’t wait around here” I mumble “I suppose it’s because seconds could be the difference between life and death, I guess you can’t just turn that thinking off” Shane says darkly, I can’t help but wonder where he got that from.

“anyway it’s late you should sleep” he says a lot more cheerily. I go to protest but he removes his legs and arms from around me and jumps down from the bed. “I know you want to play bass –” he smiles pausing to take it off me his hands remaining on mine for a moment “-but you need to sleep” he smiles “what about you?” I frown “I don’t need to just yet” he says quietly. I feel there’s more behind it but I feel I shouldn’t press it, we’re nowhere near close enough for that right now.

Shanes P.O.V:

Last time I checked it was 3am. I can hear Drews light snores from a few feet away, it’s comforting knowing he’s there after thinking I’d lost him forever. I notice after a while my breathing has synchronised with his, I fall asleep smiling at the thought.

***

I can feel my whole body is tense and my breathing erratic, I’m scared to open my eyes, I’m scared I’ll open them and see the van. “Shane” Drew mumbles. But he’s dead? “Shane it’s just a dream wake up” he says softly and I feel someone’s small hand grasp my clammy one “Drew?” I ask uncertainly “Open you eyes Shane” I take a deep breath tentative for a moment before opening my eyes. Drews hazel ones are staring back at me worry prevalent in it was them “it was just a dream Shane” Drew soothes, I sigh relieved in response. The corners of Drews mouth lift slightly as he smiles tentatively “thanks Drew” I mumble wiping the tears from my eyes “it’s okay” he says back quietly. We sit in an awkward silence for a moment “what time is it?” I yawn looking towards the window, the sun is steadily rising. “just gone six” Drew says sadly. I wonder why he sounds sad for a moment before I realize. Today I go home.

A/N: Sorry todays update was so late, it's my boyfriends birthday so I've been with him all day. He's just popped out to get a tattoo so here you go! Hope you guys enjoyed it,

Becki