Chapter 15~In Hopes

Melody's P.O.V

I woke up the next day in hopes that Zayn was awake. I rushed into his room, only to find his mom crying on the chair next to his bed. I went over to her to try and comfort her.

"Mrs Gardner?" I whisper.

She looks up and into my eyes. She tries to give me a small smile but fails.

"Hello Melody," her voice cracks and she breaks down crying again.

I hug and comfort her. I understand. She's really upset. I mean, the poor lady probably lost her son because of me! I'm surprised she doesn't hate me!

"Mrs Gardener. I'm so sorry, this is all my fault," I whisper.

"It's not your fault Melody. Justin should have never...hurt...Zayn in the first place," she sniffles.

We didn't talk much after that. It was Friday, so I decided to stay at the hospital the whole weekend to watch over Zayn. I felt like it was my responsibility.

~■~

The weekend flashed by. By the time it was Sunday, I was forced out of the hospital by the nurses, doctors, my parents, Tristan, Lucy and Alex.

"Melody! You're tired! You haven't eaten some damn good food! You are stressed! Please just come home!" Tristan pleads.

I sigh. He was right. I was most definitely certain that I had bags and dark under eye circles. I haven't had a good shower in days. My stomach ached cause I only really ate soup, that still tasted terrible.

I need to go home.

I left the hospital and Tammy drove us home. I haven't heard from any of the guys in the past 3 days; not that I was complaining. We got home and I ran to the kitchen. I'm so fucking hungry! I could eat a horse! I made a sandwich which consisted of bread, mayo, lettuce, turkey, tomatoes, and cheese.

I walked upstairs and into my room. I sat on my bay window and enjoyed my decent sandwich. It was better than hospital food, so I didn't really care. I watched as people walked on the streets. There were couples, children, older people. They were all free. They looked like they didn't have a care in the world. That's what I wanted to be. Free.

I wanted to be free from the jerks. I wanted to be free from high school, no matter how much fun it was. I wanted to be free from Justin. I wanted to be free from this guilty feeling in the pit of my stomach. I want to be free from this little voice in my head that says I'm not good enough. I just want to be free. Is that to much to ask?

Tristan came into my room shortly after to see how I was doing. I didn't say much, like usual. Tammy came in right after Tristan and Lucy left. She told me I'd be going to school tomorrow. I knew for a fact I'd be bombarded with questions from everyone around the school; but I wasn't going to answer them.

I got into bed at around 9 pm. I needed my rest because I looked like shit. I took a bath, shower and did a homemade facial scrub. Hopefully I'll look good for tomorrow. And if I don't, well I'll look like shit.

~+~

I looked decent, to say the least. I was wearing ripped jeans, a black tank top, a white cardigan and some black wedges. My hair was left in it's natural waves that fell nicely against my back. Luckily I was having a good hair day or I would have looked ratchet.

When I got to school, no one asked me anything. I think they saw how miserable I was, or looked, so they let me be. I know they want answers, and they will get them; when Zayn gets better. I know he will. He has too. He's strong enough.

Classes rolled by. Teachers were leaving it easy for me and I was thankful. I wanted to go to the casino tonight, but I'm still grounded despite the incident. Dad and Tammy think it's best to leave me grounded so I don't do anything stupid in my current mental state. But they made the exception of letting me go to the hospital with someone.

That's where Tristan is taking me right now. Lots of people have been going to visit Zayn. The boys on the football team, his admirers, the jerks. I have no idea why they would care to see him. They are the reason he's in a coma, so it makes no sense why they come to visit when they are the problem and cause of all this.

Which reminds me. They haven't said a word to me all weekend and today. I mean, I see them looking at me like they WANT to tell me something, but I ignore them. It doesn't help when they are in all your morning classes and you're in the middle of all their lockers.

But that's life right?

When we got to the hospital, I didn't even bother checking in; Tristan has that covered. I just wanted to be there when Zayn woke up. The doctors still don't know when he will. Or in their words:

"We don't know if he will wake up,"

"If" and "when" are the same thing. I just wished they said "when". I stayed there doing the little homework I had and just talked to him like he would speak. Tristan waited outside patiently. There was the odd time when he would leave to get food or to use the restroom.

I haven't seen Lucy around much. She's always busy nowadays. I have a feeling it's either because she's with her crush who is yet to be discovered, or she's trying to get her mind off Zayn. They were really close. Even before she became best friends with Tristan. I would think that she'd be here more than me but then again, her burdens aren't the reason he's in this state. She's probably just coping.

I ended up staying that night. Alex said he'd pick me up in the morning. He has been coming over a lot. Around the same times I did. It makes sense though. Him and Zayn were, I mean are, best friends.

The same nurse from the weekend gave me my dinner and some extra clothes. Alex said he'd drop me off some clothes in the morning so I wouldn't have to go to school in a hospital gown. Talk about embarrassing.

As I fell asleep my mind kept wandering to Zayn and how maybe my hope was becoming limited. I have to start accepting the fact he might never come back right? But at the same time I can't think like that.

Screw this. I need sleep.

-----------------------------------

Authors Note

Hey guys, Asha here. Sorry this is a sucky chapter. I just wanted something up for you guys. How are you feeling about the whole "Zayn in the hospital" thing? How do you feel about Dylan? I'm open for suggestions on how the book should follow up. However, I do have the ending all planned out so no need to worry about that. Love you all so much. Question: Who's your role model/inspiration. Mine is Cara Delevingne and Selena Gomez. What about you guys?