Family.

Kagura gulped and cursed under her breath, "How'd... How did you find out?"
     His monotone voice didn't change, "Hm? Brat, I've fought many people in the past. I'd think I'd remember what the strongest race in the universe looked like."
     She shuddered, "You- you don't fear me?"
     He flashed her the warmest smile she's ever seen. It could rival her mother's. "Why would I?"
     Kagura's cerulean orbs glimmered with tears, "But we kill for no good reason. I did..."
     "You kill to protect." His voice was suddenly stern. As if he related to her once. As if he experienced the pain. As if he understood where she was coming from, but knew the solution.
     Her voice shook with worry, "We do?"
     He reached over and patted her head. His voice was now soothing and soft, "Of course you do, kid. I won't let you kill for any other reason."
     She nodded and grinned at him. He ruffled his hair and stood up, "I'm just going to the bathroom, okay? Why don't you lay down a futon in the closet? I'll unpack your stuff and Shinpachi will sort it out for you."
     Kagura obeyed and laid down a comfortable futon in the closet. As she laid down on it and she noticed that there was a lot more space than she thought. Gin-chan was right. I fit.
     A boy's voice was heard outside, "Gin-san, I'm here. Oh, what's all this stuff?"
     She wondered if it was the human-wearing glasses like Gintoki said. A sliding door was shut quietly, and she heard Gintoki's voice. "Oh, Patsuan... Where's the brat?"
     The boy spoke again, "The brat? Who did you bring home?"
     "Kagura?" She held her breath. Maybe the boy is actually gonna be mean to me... "I'm here, Gin-chan...eh?"
     Her face looked disappointed. He looked no older than her and he barely had any muscle on him. His yukata was a boring blue and grey and even his hair was boring. His glasses were another story. She swore she could feel his soul in them. "This is the human-wearing glasses, Gin-chan?"
     One of the vein's on his forehead popped, "What the hell have you been telling her?!"
     She cringed. What a shrill voice... "Um.. Are you Shinpachi... Um-"
     "Shimura." He smiled at her, "Shimura Shinpachi. Nice to meet you, uh Kagura-chan, was it?"
     She nodded, then whispered to Gintoki, "How long do I have to wait before I can make fun of him?"
     "Um, Kagura-chan I can hear you..." He sounded hurt.
     Gintoki 'whispered' back, "Anytime, brat. Anytime."
     Shinpachi was on the verge of tears, "Please be more considerate. Oh! We should have a welcome party for you, Kagura-chan."
     Gintoki furrowed his eyebrows, "And who will be paying for that?"
     "Me and my sister," He said through gritted teeth.
     Kagura laughed, but got cut off by the sound of a booming voice, "LISTEN HERE, YOU LAZY PERM-HEAD, I NEED THIS MONTH'S RENT NOW- who's that?"
     Gintoki groaned, "Hahaha... Oba-san... We don't have to talk about the rent right now... After all, there's a new member of the Yorozuya."
Shinpachi shook his head solemnly, "You forgot again, Gin-san? But it is true, Otose-san, her name is Kagura."
Otose had a pipe in her mouth. Kagura tilted her head at it curiously, "Oba-san, what is that?"
Otose smiled at her, "It's a smoking pipe. It's for adults only."
Kagura put her hand on her chin said, "Like Mayora!"
Gintoki p's eyebrow twitched, "Who's that?"
Kagura giggled, "It's my classmate's sister's boyfriend. He smokes tobacco, I think... Yeah."
Otose took a drag from her pipe and sighed, "I overheard the party thing. We'll have it downstairs. Catherine and Tama are on it."
She left and Gintoki and Shinpachi let out a breath of relief, "Wow, Kagura-chan, if you weren't here, she'd probably kick this lazy bum out!"
Kagura chuckled, "Oh? Lucky you then, Gin-chan. And what are you reading?"
Gintoki looked seriously offended, "You mean you don't know? Aren't little girls your age supposed to have crushes on shoujo manga guys? Like K*zehaya or even N*ruto?!Hell, even G*ku, right?!"
She blinked. "Who, who and who?"
Gintoki's eyes hid behind his silver curls, "AFTER THIS PARTY IM GOING TO EDUCATE YOU, BRAT."
***
Sougo was kneeling next to his sister's bed. Hijikata left to get them food. Her alarm clock ticked every second, counting off every little bit of life she has. His hand was clasped around her sheets. She was hardly breathing. "Nee-san..." He choked out.
A frail hand massaged his cheek, "Don't cry, Sou-chan. Nee-san still has two years..." She coughed violently, and Sougo remained still.
He took her hand in his, "It's always been you. No one else. I don't listen to anyone else. I don't find interest in anyone... It's always been you..."
She smiled weakly at him, "Sou-chan... What about your 'China'?"
He was stunned, "How-how do you..."
"Hijikata told me," she said, lowering her hand. "Don't hate Hijikata after this, okay? Promise me..."
     Sougo nodded his head and let tears stain her bed.
                                                                    ***
     Kagura felt slightly nervous. She already became adjusted to the workers down below, and even had the gall to be mean to them. The front doors slid open and two people stepped in. One woman with chestnut coloured hair and the other was a very skinny man with shades.
     Gintoki shouted out, "Oi Hasegawa, drink with me, I haven't started yet!"
     Shinpachi greeted the woman, "Nee-san, this is Kagura-chan. She'll be part of the Yorozuya from now on."
Shinpachi's sister, huh? She looks like a shady gang leader. "I'm Kagura..."
     The lady smiled at her, but never opened her eyes. It reminded her of someone she didn't want to be reminded of. The lady said, in a high but soothing voice, "I'm Otae Shimura. Shin-chan's sister."
     The party was rumbustious and ebullient but ended too quick. Kagura carried her drunk guardian up the stairs and tucked him in. She laid down in her closet. She hate to admit it, but she missed the blue ceiling of her house. The one of which she fell asleep looking at every night. But it was nice to know she was in the right arms. She proceeded to drift off into a peaceful slumber.