Chapter 1

Hi, I am Beatrice. No I am Tris.
Well my birth name is Beatrice but everyone calls me Tris. Except from my parents of course... But my parents are my parents so i guess they have to be annoying. Well whatever. I live a normal, boring life. I live in a samll town in a small house with my small brother. Well actually my brother is a lot bigger than me. It just fitted better that way. I am small though. And although i am already 17 still build like a child. But who cares? It doesn't depends on the looks - i guess. Well the boys at school don't think that way. But i don't even like the boys at my school. They are idiots. Well nearly all of them are. Will is okay. He is my friend. Well he is the boyfriend of my best friend so i guess that makes him my friend as well. My mum used to be loving and caring bur something changed her. I still don't know what. Well whatever, as i said my life is boring. I go to school every day. I write only A's or B's because i have to much time and so i fill that time with learning and reading. I never skipped a single lesson - see that's how boring i am. I really want to change something. I want to escape my life. My life of getting up, eating breakfast, driving to school, learning, driving home, more learning, dinner and then bed. I sigh while i press my forehead to the window of my room. Guess what i am doing right now? You got it: learning! I have this test tomorrow - history. I like history - its fascinating. Thats what i think. I already know all the stuff that i have to learn so i don't really pay attention. I sigh again and close my book. I look into our small yard. Its plain, only a old swing and a single apple tree fill the loneliness of that yard. The cold autum wheater doesn't cheer me up either. The clouds seem to nearly knock on my window so close are they. It rains a bit and the small drops pop against my window. I look around in my room. I'm not untidy but i am not tidy either. My dinner from last night still stands next to my labtop, my socks are spilled on the floor because i knocked my basket over this morning. But other than that the floor is clean. My armchair is clean, my bed is made and my shelf is tidy. I hop down from the window-sill and my fluffly socks hit the floor just when my phone buzzes. I cramp it out of the pocket of my baggy jogging pants and look at the message. Christina. She wants to meet me at the train tracks in fifteen minutes. Why not... I know the things for tomorrow. I exchange my favourite jogging pants for a pair of blue jeans and my comfortable sweater for a cardigen. I leave my shirt on. I walk down the stairs and bump into my brother. "Watch out Bea." He says and smiles. "Sorry Caleb." I respond and smile as well. He looks up and down at me and raises an eyebrow. "Are you going somewhere?" I nod "Jup, i'm meeting Chris." He just nods and walks into his room. I continue my way downstairs. My mum sits on the couch and reads a book while my father reads the newspaper. "Mum, dad, i'm going to meet christina. I'll be back for dinner." My father closes his newspaper and looks at me. "Really Beatrice? At this weather? At this time?" "Come oooon dad. As i said: 'i'll be back for dinner.'" I groan. "Young lady, you are only 17, you can't just go outside whenever you want to! We have to take care of you and-" "protect me?" I interupt him, raising my eyebrows. He glares at me. "Dad, i've heard this a thousand times! You are too young, you are too small, you are to weak... I'll just meet Christina and we will hang out in a cafe. No problem! No boys, no alcohol - nothing!" I put on my shoes, grab my anorak and storm outside. Another thing in my boring life: i've never tasted alcohol. Not a single sip. Not once. I twirl my car keys at my finger and get into my small car. Its old and shabby and rusty, but i love it. It gives me a small amount of freedom. I start the engine and drive out of the parking lot.

I arrive at Christinas and mine spot only ten minutes later. I see her bright yellow jacket already when i am still far away. I smile. Christina is amazing, she is funny, pretty, tall, thin. She is perfect. The exact opposite of me but how do you say: opposites attract. We have been best friends since kindergarten and sticked together till now. I pull into the abandond train station and hop out of the car. The light rain hits my face but i ignore it. Chris hugs me quickly and then pulls me with her. I just follow her. I know where we are going, its an amazing spot we found a few years ago. We told no one about it. Not even Will. We sit on the old platform and let our legs hang down. The roof shields us from the rain. Chris breaks the silence: "I am surprised your parents let you go." She nudges my shoulder and i smile slightly. "Yes, it was a fight. But as ever - i just left. I'll deal with that later." She nods. "Have you learned for the test yet?" I ask. She groans. "Really tris? You want to talk about school right now?" I laugh. "Not really, no." We stay silent for a bit. "So, what do you want to do for your 18th birthday?" Chris asks and jumps up and down. "I guess the same as ever... I will invite you and will and then we will eat pizza and talk and watch TV. Nothing big or special." She groans. "Triiis... I can't let this happen! Its your 18th birthday! You can't waste it!" "Chris, its just a birthday like every other..." she sighs. "We'll see."

When i return home i already know i am in trouble. Through the kitchen window, that is facing the street, i see my family sitting at the kitchen table. "Shit." I curse under my breath. I unlock the door, slide of my shoes and my anorak and slip into the kitchen. I feel the gaze of my mother, father and brother on me while i sit at the table. I reach out for the spoon to get myself some soup but my father catches my hand. I let it sink down. This can't be good... he clears his throat. "Where were you?" "As i said i was out with christina. At a cafe." I snap at him. I wish that soemtimes i could hold myself back and not snap but i just can't. He glares at me. "Who do you think you are? You are late! Interupt our meal! And now you snap at me! Go in your room." "But..." i want to interupt. "No!" His vlice booms through the room and makes me shiver. "Go!" I stand up aprubtly and the chair falls down behind me. "Okay." I simply say and although i am really hungry i turn around and walk upstairs.
I slam my bedroom door and let myself fall into my armchair. I sigh. I look around and find a half eaten pizza from yesterday. I shrug and bit in it. It still tastes good so i just finish it and throw the cartong away. If my dad thinks he could starve me too death he is wrong.
I change into my pyjama and walk into the bathroom. I share one with Caleb while my parents have their own. I brush my hip long hair, brush my teeth and wash my face. I look at myself in the mirror. I look tyred and i am. My long nose sticks out just as much as my bid eyes do. I turn away from the mirror and fall onto my bed. I turn the light off and slowly fall asleep with only one thought: Away!