Chapter 5

(Last chapter: Let the night begin...)
When we arrive at the school we see colourfull lights shining through the windows of the gymnastik hall. Chris squeels and i smile. Maybe the evening is going to be nice... She pulls me wih her by my wrist. Like that we run towards the entrence with the boys following behind - laughing. There is a photographer infront of the entrence. I inwardly sigh but before i can say anything we stand infront of the white background and he takes pictures. Chris, Al, Will and me. Al and me. Chris and me. Will and Chris. Will and me. Chris and Al. Every possible combination.
When we enter everyone is still arriving. We put our anoraks to the wardrope and then sit at our table. Soon after that the night starts.

Two hours later everyone said their speeches and the dance floor is opened. Chris and will immediatly run towards the middle and start dancing. Al smiles at me shyly. "D-do you want to dance?" He stutters. I fake a smile. I have absolutly no desire to dance with him but i will because i'm expected to. He takes my small hand in his big one and we walk towards the dancefloor. I see my brother dancing closly to Susan. Al just want to lay his hands on my hips when i pull him with me, towards Caleb. When he spots us he smiles and starts walking as well. When we meet we share a quick hug. He looks up and down at me and smiles. He leans forward and screams over the music: "You look really pretty!" I smile and look at his wrong buttoned tux jacket. "You also look handsome." He just nods and i am not sure whether he heard me. My brother always was the better looking one. Well, since it counts how you look. He grew into the long nose and the big eyes, not like me. He twirls me and i laugh. Then he pats my shoulder and pull susan towards us. I give her a quicl hug and then they start dancing again. I turn towards al. He slightly smiles at me and looks at me questioning. Can't he just once be a man and just do it? I give him a small nod and he places his hands on my hips. While everyone else is jumping furiously Al and I just slowly sway. When the song is over Chris and Will suddenly are next to me. I smile at them. Will and Al motion us that they will get us drinks and we just nod. When they are gone and a new song is playing Chris makes me jump with her and i laugh. She leans forward and screams: "Are you enjoying it?" I just nod and give her a thumbs up. I want to have fun with her at my last evening. She smiles widely and hugs me. "I will miss you Tris." She screams. I hug her back and scream: "I'll miss you too Chrissy." a few tears gather in her eyes but they don't spill. "We still have tomorrow!" I scream and she laughs and nods.

For the next few hours we drink and dance and talk. I am actually enjoying it. The ball queen and king are elected. Charly Hopping is queen and Anthony Baxter is king. They both are really good looking. I would never be elected ball queen but i am not sure i would want to.
When the night is nearlly over and only a couple of people are still swaying in the now slow music pur headmaster steps towards the microphone. He taps it with his finger and everyone falls quiet and looks at him. He smiles. "Hello students. Another year, another group of young people managed to get trough the horror of school." We all laugh and there are a few shouts. "It was an honor for this school to have all of you here with us. It was an honor to see you learn, sucess and if you failed it was an honor to help you up again." Everyone smiles. "Today, i also want to congratulate our best student. She has only A's. In every single subject. Please congratulate miss Beatrice Prior." My mouth falls open. What? I am the best? I knew that i had good grades - but that good?! Chris shoves me a bit and i stand up. Everyone claps and i slowly walk up to mr clark. He smiles and pulls me onto the podium. He lays a hand on my shoulder. "Beatrice, or what she rather is called, Tris is an example for a very good student. She never missed a single lesson, she never missed a test, she never wrote something bader than a C." As he goes on i just want to shrink into earth. I tryed to keep under the radar. Just live my life outside of school. At school i was always focused ok what i was doing. I tryed to keep hidden that i am such a nerd. But i am. Mr clarks hand squeezing my shoulder wakes me out of my trance. "So tris, because you've done so well, you will get your report already today." He hands it to me and as he said there is not a single B on it. I smile at him and thank him. Then i am finally free to go. Caleb, Chris, Will and al wait for me at the bottom of the stairs. Caleb hugs me and smiles. "I am so proud of you. You are determined to be somethimg big." I smile at him. I still can't really believe what just happend. They all give me a quick hug and then we head towards the exit. I trail a bit behind and caleb waits for me. "Where is susan?" I ask. He shrugs. "She had to go home. When will you leave? Today?" I shake my head no. "No. Chris asked me to stay for my birthday." He nods. "Okay." I smile at him. "Happy birthday Bea." I look at my clock and realise its already half past one. I grin. "Thanks. Now i am finally 18!" He grins as well and hugs me. He picks me up and twirls me around. Then we just walk towards the limosine. When i open the door i hear a champaign bottle plopping and chris squeels: "Happy Brithday trissy!" Everyone joins in and they start singing. I smile at them. When they finished i sit down with them. The driver start driving and everyone gets out a presents for me. Chris hands me hers first. I thank her and open it. Under the wrapping i expose a small colourfull box. When i open it i see a necklace. Its beautiful. I smile at it and get it out of the box. She leans over and opens it. On the inside there is a picture of Chris, Will and me. I remember it. It was last summer at the lake. Chris and will just started dating and we all became really good friends. We were friends before but at this point will became my male bestfriend. "Oh my god thank you so much." I reach over and hug her. "So you won't forget us." I just nod and i feel my eyes burning with tears. "Thank you." I whisper again. She rubs my shoulder and then will hands me his. Its a long but thin box. I open it and find pocket knife. I smile at him. "I just thought you could maybe need it on your journey. Its always good to have something like that. If you look at the bottom then there are our capital letters engraved." I smile wider and sure enough find a small C, W, T and another C. I hug him and thank him. The next one to give me my present is Caleb. When i open his i find a small necklace with a blue saphir hanging on it. Its beautiful. I gasp and start tearing up. "Thank you caleb. So so much!" He hugs me and now the tears spill. They run down my cheeks. Then Al hands me his present. Its poorly wraped but its kind of cute. It look like he tryed a long time but failed. I have to supress a smile. Not because i have to laugh about him, more because this is pretty cute. When i open the box i see a bracelet. It has a heart pendent. There is something engraved on it: A+T and then the forever sign. I thank him a lot although its kinda awkward.
Ten minutes later we arrive at Chris house. We all get out and Caleb is the first to hug me. "Will we see us again before you leave?" He asks and i nod. "Yes. Just come here at about 6 pm." He nods and hugs me tightly. Then he lets go and waves towards the others. They wave back. Will will sleep at chris house as well but al wasn't allowed to. After will and Chris already said good bye to Al and are starting 'some other things' i walk over to him. "Thanks for the bracelet again." He just nods. I stand on my tip toes to hug him. He suddenly closes his eyes and leans forward. He wants to kiss me! I am shocked. I can't move! When his lips are nearlly on mine i finally snap into life and carefully push him away. I give him an awkward hug and pat his back. "Good night Al. See you today." He smiles a bit but looks sad. I somehow feel bad. But its not my fault. He is just not the type of guy i like. He walks away and i turn towards Chris. She pulls me into the dark house and shuts the door. "Happy birthday Tris!" She says and i smile. "Thanks."