Chapter Sixteen

Now stand up, Lachlan..Walk over to the lunch line.. Good.. Pick something. Get food. Show them you're fine. Get a cheeseburger and fries. Show them you're okay.

Lachlan slowly shuffled over to the lunch area, giving one of the lunch ladies a stiff smile. When they started to chatter to him, ask how his day was, he merely shook his head, holding his tight smile until they got the point. Silently, he picked up the tray, staring down at the burger and frenchfries. His stomach twisted and he felt nauseated. Sighing, he crossed back over, ignoring the stares and whispers.

This wasn't his lunch period. This was the time Middle Schoolers ate, so of course he'd get stares. The high school, middle school and elementary school all shared a cafeteria that was unattached to any of them. The younger kids would have to take a bus, while the older kids simply walked or drove themselves.

He sat down, peeling the bun back from his meal and grimacing at all of the grease. Not too long ago, he would of happily dug into it, laughing about how amazing the food tasted for once with..Rob..and.. Preston.

Just thinking about them made tears sting his eyes, threatening to spill over.. But he refused to let them. He'd never hear the end of it from these demons of children.

"Hey Mister? Are you okay?" A high pitched voice chirped. He turned his head ever so slightly, his gaze falling on the small girl who had sat down next to him. She had the brightest green eyes and beautiful golden-brown hair. A flower crown was perched on her head, something she probably got teased for wearing. She had on Jean shorts that were probably too short for school, a white tanktop and a pink jacket over that. She couldn't be much older than 13..

Another girl, who was most likely her friend, slid in on the other side of Lachlan. The two looked almost identical, except the newer one had blue eyes, a blue flower crown and a blue-striped shirt on. "My name is Carly! What's yours?" This one had to be a 6th grader. The wide, innocent eyes.. The young look..

"I'm Kelly. Sir, what's wrong?" Kelly waited for his reply patiently. Realization flashed in her eyes when he didn't respond. "Oh! I'm sorry! Um, maybe write it down..? Carly! Get some paper!"

Smart girl..

Carly, dug through her adorable flower and lace backpack, pulling out a sheet of notebook and a pink gel pen. She handed both to Lachlan, her tiny hands ghosting over his large ones. These kids were just so small. There was no way they were 11 and 13.. Carly was around 4'6, and Kelly looked to be barely 4'9. Lachlan was more than a foot taller than both of them.

"Write your name right there, okay?" Kelly pointed to a line.

Lachlan nodded slowly, pressing the point of the pen against the paper, soft enough that it wouldn't rip. He glided it across the page, leaving behind the pink swirls of his name. L. A. C. H. L. A. N.

"Lack-Lan?" Carly piped up, confused. She giggled at Lachlan's violent shake of his head.

"Um.. Lachlan?" Kelly gave the Australian a smile, which he shyly returned as he nodded.

"Well.. Hi Lachlan! What are you doing here? Are you an 8th grader? You look older.." Carly questioned.

No. High schooler. Akademi. Graduating soon. Here to eat.

"No, but like, why are you here? This is when the middle schoolers ea-Oh no, mister, please don't cry!" Kelly and Carly exchanged a worried glance as Lachlan burst into tears, his sobs more of wet, ragged gasps. He couldn't explain it to them. Even if they were old enough to understand and to where they wouldn't be scarred for life, written words wouldn't be enough.

He pushed away from the table, standing up abruptly. All eyes shifted to the mute, crying, tall boy. Many were giggling and jeering at him. He whipped around, forcing through the gathering crowd towards the door.

"What's wrong with all of you?! Shut up! Sit down!" Kelly's sweet voice roared through the cafeteria. Automatically, hearing who had said this, they did what they were told, going quiet and returning to their seats. These two girls ruled the school-literally. They even charmed teachers and the principal onto their side. Everyone loved them. "Come back!"

Lachlan ignored them, continuing to walk away. He had better things to do than be ridiculed by children. Two pairs of arms wrapped firmly around him, successfully stopping him in his tracks. Carly clung to his neck, her legs wrapping around his back, while Kelly latched onto his waist, digging her feet into the ground.

"Nooo!" Carly whined. "Don't go! Please? Lachlan!"

"Come spend the day with us, Lachlan." Kelly begged, her green eyes wide and pleading. "We have conjoined classes. Come to recess with us? And then to math? Please!"

Both girls cheered as Lachlan reluctantly nodded. Not like I have much of a choice.. Although it could be worse. At least they're sweet girls

Little Carly and Little Kelly.. The Youtubers! As young girls, of course. ^-^