Chapter Seventeen: The Frightened Boy

Chapter Seventeen Word Count: 6402 words

The flashes, yells, and pushing people surround Niall and I as we fight our way into the hospital. News had spread fast about Grayson, and it appeared everyone and their entire extended family wants their own pictures to prove his existence. Luckily, we had stopped by Niall's mother's house to drop off Grayson before coming to visit Ollie, already anticipating a small crowd. We didn't plan for anything like this, though. Niall's hand is pressed solidly to my waist, fingers rubbing there gently as to keep me remembering he's right here with me, pushing through the crowd. We don't have any security, it's just us, and I can tell Niall's just as nervous as I am about it.

Someone grabs my arm, pulling me towards them in an obvious attempt to get me to look their way. Before I can even react Niall's got his hands on this foreign person, pulling them off me and pushing them back forcefully, them falling to the ground under his hands.

"Prick." He says under his breath, as he pulls me close to his chest. I look up at Niall to find him scanning the crowd with a determined face, evidently trying to get out of this mess before we're trampled. We start moving forward then, Niall pushing his way through with me still pressed into his chest. He's got one arm secured around my waist as the other comes up over my eyes to shield me from the flashes. I know he can tell I'm afraid. I don't want to be scared, but I can feel the panic setting in. My heart speeds up and I just want out. Niall's trying his best, though, and that's more than enough, especially since this is a lot for him too.

"Fucking move!" Niall screams then, making me flinch unintentionally against him. I've never heard quite so much anger in his voice. I realize then that he must be even more terrified than I am, and I want to just shield him as he's shielding me, but I can't. I can't move and Niall's weight is the only thing keeping me upright as people surround us.

It's a relief when I feel a strong hand land on my back and look up from Niall's chest to recognize one of the security guards that are supposed to be outside of Ollie's room. Niall notices him as well and begins to walk directly behind him as the large, burly man easily parts the reporters and fans in our way. It only takes a minute for us to reach the doors, no one having the guts to follow us into the hospital. They're making it dangerous enough blocking the entrance like that. I'm pretty sure the police will be clearing them away soon.

"Are you hurt?" I vaguely hear Niall's voice, trembling against his chest as he rubs his hand over my back. He breathes deep a few times, obviously trying to calm himself before he can help me regain my breath. He leans down to press a gentle kiss to the top of my head, wrapping his arms around me tightly, letting me feel safe in his embrace.

"You gotta tell me if you're alright, love." Niall whispers, the security hovering next to us. I know that he just wants to make sure that I don't have any injuries from the yanking, pulling, and pushing we just endured, but I don't know what to tell him. I'm frozen and even if I was hurt I don't think I'd feel it.

"It's alright." Niall mentions softly as his cheek rests on top of my head, him swaying slightly, a few more gentle words of encouragement lingering in his breath. Niall holds me for a minute or so, finally letting his arms fall from their position around me when I mumble a thank you against his neck. I can't help but feel immensely grateful for Niall. I would have never made it through that crowd alone, let alone relaxed that fast if he wasn't there to hold me.