Chapter Forty-Seven: The Amused Boy

Chapter Forty-Seven word count: 4448 words

I wake up to a sharp pain in my neck. As my eyes open, I catch a glimpse of the speckled ceiling in the dimmed light, and I quickly remember I'm at the hospital. My neck only throbs because of this awful cot, but I didn't want to go home and leave Grayson, even though Niall's here. I try to turn to look at Grayson, to see if he's still sleeping, but my neck is locked up. I sit up, swinging my feet to the floor as I rub at my neck, trying to free up the muscles there a bit.

"Your neck bad?" Niall asks quietly. I turn to look over at him in the corner of the room, feet drawn up in his chair, glasses on and hair a mess. He looks dreadful, and I'm sure I do too.

"Yeah. This cot is shitty." I say, rubbing at my neck still. Niall smiles at that and nods. He slept on it not too long ago, so he definitely knows that. I look over to where Grayson was sleeping, only to find the bed empty. My heart races even though Niall's calm. Where is my son? And why is the crib still here if Grayson isn't? Why didn't they unlock the crib from the wall and take it too?

"Where's G?" I ask immediately, my stomach dropping at the sight of the empty crib.

"He's gonna be back any minute; they had to give him a test. They think he's alright to go home, but they're making sure. I was gonna go with them, but people have found out we're here and it would cause less of a scene if we stayed put." Niall says, and I think he notices the immediate panic on my face when I realize G doesn't have either of us with him.

"He's asleep and Baz is with him. He's fine." Niall says quickly, and my mind is eased just a bit. If Basil is with him, he's safe and he'll be okay if he wakes up. He knows Basil. He'll feel safe with Basil.

As if on cue, the door opens and Basil walks in holding Grayson, a nondescript blanket covering Grayson's face and upper body as a nurse follows close behind, holding some tubes that are connected to Grayson and nothing else. Basil lays Grayson down in his crib, and I watch silently as the nurse reattaches his IV to the tubing near the crib and connects the wires to the heart monitors adhered to his chest, as well as his other monitors.

"Sorry about that, we just thought it'd give you more privacy if we weren't rolling him down the hall on another floor. We don't have the same amount of security down there as up here; a lot of people are getting tests and things." She says quickly, but Niall reassures her that it's perfectly fine when he realizes the young girl thinks we're upset because of the inconvenience.

"It's fine, honest. Thank you, Emma, I appreciate it." Niall says, and it's plain to see she's a bit surprised Niall remembered her name. He remembers everyone's name, though, makes it a point to ask and remember it. I didn't remember her name even though she's been helping with Grayson for most of the day. The girl smiles softly as us before leaving the room quickly, evidently trying not to be a bother.

"She's scared of you." Basil snorts once the door has been shut, and Niall nods his head.

"I know! But I'm not sure why; I swear I've been nice." Niall says, and Basil just shakes his head at Niall.

"Maybe it's got something to do with the big scary men outside the door." Basil says in a mocking tone, and Niall rolls his eyes. I look at Niall curiously. What all has happened as I slept? How did people find out we were here? We didn't call an ambulance or do anything so public like that. Only Grayson's pulmonologist and a handful of nurses even knew he was here in the first place.

"I said one guard was fine, alright, don't blame me for that." Niall says, and Basil seems to see right through that.

"Oh you most definitely asked for two. Don't downplay it just because the wife woke up." Basil mocks Niall again, and Niall's face reddens. I don't mind, though. I'd have as many guards as possible if it were socially acceptable. I just wish we didn't need them at all. I wish we could take our sick child to the hospital and not have to hire people to make sure that we're safe. I can't believe people are that fucking pathetic that they'd follow us around here of all places.