Chapter Forty-Three: The Safe Boy

Chapter Forty-Three word count: 6961 words

I lean over Grayson's car-seat so I can give him his kiss goodbye, placing Leo in his lap afterwards. I'm going to miss him tonight, but at the same time, I'm excited to have a night with just Niall and I. We don't get that very often. It's kind of weird how Niall and I have never really had our relationship without a child. We're so used to having to schedule around Grayson, used to not having a lot of alone time. I guess that's why it always feels a little bit sad when I have to watch Grayson go.

"Are you gonna be good for Nanna?" I ask, and Grayson nods, smiling so his dimples show; I can't help but grin right back at him.

"Alright, bubs, I'll see you tomorrow. I love you." I say, kissing his forehead one last time before I see him again.

"Love you, Mommy." Grayson replies softly, and I smile again. My mom shoos me away from her car then, reminding me to enjoy tonight and that she'll text me updates every once in a while so Niall and I don't get too worried about Grayson.

I go back inside to find Niall with a few of Grayson's toys in his hands. I recognize them as the ones G was playing with earlier, so Niall must just be cleaning up. I really want to pull the toys out of his hands, put them back on the ground, and tell him he's not allowed to do any work today, minuscule or otherwise. I'll let him put up what's in his hands, I suppose, but after that he's all mine.

I voice my opinion to Niall, and he only laughs and shakes his head at me, but he doesn't try to clean anything else after that so I'm pretty sure he doesn't think I'm completely crazy. After a nice nap to make up for what feels like months of restless sleep, Niall and I make plans to go out to a club with a few friends tonight.

It's been so long since I've seen most of my friends. I don't really have close friends. Not anymore. That's got nothing to do with Niall and Grayson, though, I had already drifted from my friends a year or two before Niall and Grayson became such a big part of my life. I didn't really know how to get back friendships that I so thoroughly ruined, and maybe that's why I was so content being alone for so long. I would have never had the guts to reach out to anyone again if it weren't for Niall's steady and patient encouragement.

A couple of Niall's buddies are going to be there as well, so I'm fairly certain he'll be drinking tonight. That doesn't bother me, honestly. I trust him and I don't think him drinking really tempts me at all. Okay, maybe Niall's just a little more affectionate and giggly when he's tipsy and I might enjoy that side of him making an occasional appearance. I know the way he is, though, and he's definitely not going to get completely drunk if I'm around even if I say it's okay, but I can nearly guarantee that by the end of the night he'll be at least partially inebriated.

My stylist has already picked something out for me tonight, a red, extremely low cut romper of sorts, and Jill will be coming over later to do my makeup. I don't really want to make a big deal of us going out, but I know there'll be photos, and really, I just want to look nice. Niall knows I like it when he dresses up, when I can parade him around and show everyone how amazing my fiancé is, and I know he's the same way. We're both annoying, but hey, I guess that's just how we work.

About a half-an-hour before Jill is set to come over, I find myself in a bit of a compromising position, knees on either sides of Niall thighs as he sits on the couch. We were just watching a movie, but I may have started kissing his collarbones, and one thing led to another. Now, I'm on his lap, kissing him with a bit more gusto than I ever would be if it weren't just the two of us. His hands slide down past my hips slowly, and when I don't say anything and run my lips along his jaw, I think he realizes I don't mind his hands being where they are.