Chapter Forty-Five: The Frustrated Boy

Chapter Forty-Five word count: 9111 words

A few days after that nasty virus invaded my family, I begin to get a little nervous. My stomach really never fully recovered, it seems. I begin to get nauseous before bed and into the middle of the night, but I don't tell Niall. I'm worried that he might not still be feeling the repercussions of the virus, and it'll worry him if I tell him that I'm still a little peaky. I try not to focus on it too much; it's really not that bad and I'm sure it just takes a while to get fully back to normal.

I tell myself that for a while, but when it's been over a week, I think I realize that whatever I've got isn't going away by itself. I told my Mom a few days ago that I was still feeling sick, and she seems even more concerned when I tell her I'm still not feeling the best over the phone today. Maybe I should tell Niall how I'm feeling at least. I don't know. I really don't want to worry him.

"You're still feeling sick?" My mom asks, curious.

"Yeah, a little bit. It's not that bad." I say, trying to keep her from worrying. I'm worried, though, now that I've realized whatever's causing this definitely isn't the bug Niall and G had. It's got to be something else entirely. I'm feeling nauseous and it's got nothing to do with a stomach bug.

"How long's it been, like a week?" She asks, and I just shrug down in my seat, trying to think back to the day when I first started feeling this way. It's been over a week since then, honestly.

"At least, yeah." I say, trying to make her not as worried by rounding how long I've been sick down a bit. She pauses, and I know she's trying to scour her mind for any illness she knows that would match my symptoms.

"You're not pregnant, are you?"

"No." I immediately respond, a bit startled that's what she thinks is wrong with me.

"Sorry, sorry." She says with a laugh, "You really should go to the doctor to get checked out, then." She continues with something else but I'm not really listening to her anymore because I'm thinking of the very, very high likelihood that I'm pregnant. I hadn't even thought of that. Okay, maybe I had thought that I could maybe, possibly, be pregnant, but part of me kind of thought I may be just making it up in my mind and I'm really not having those symptoms. I suppose I am, though.

I quickly find a way to end the conversation with my mom and it feels like moments later I've got Grayson in his car-seat and I'm heading to the small store just down the street. I just hope no one's there to notice me because I really would rather keep me buying pregnancy tests to myself. Luckily, the cashier is an elderly man who doesn't pay me any mind and I'm back home in twenty minutes and with only eight pregnancy tests because that's all they had in stock. I guess it's probably a bit excessive still but I really want to be sure before I do anything else.

Once I've got G distracted I make sure that Niall's schedule says he won't be home for a while and take all eight of the tests. I'm practically shitting myself the moment I've done it, even though it'll be a couple minutes before they'll actually tell me if I'm pregnant or not. They're the digital ones as well, so I guess it's good that I won't have to interpret the results from faint lines or dots. It's clearly going to tell me if I'm pregnant or not.

I wait the entire recommended amount of time staring at the tests, as one would do, waiting for something to appear. Once it feels like it's been at least an hour, the result pops up on one test.

Pregnant 5+ weeks

I'm not exactly surprised, but I can still feel my heart beating a bit forcefully in my ears as I desperately wait for the results to pop up on all the tests. They're all positive except one that just never gives a result at all, so I suppose that one's a dud. I really can't breathe looking at the tests on the counter. My head is pounding as I look at them all. Not only am I pregnant, I'm at least five weeks pregnant. Niall and I pretty regularly have alone time together now, but I wasn't really expecting to be that far along if I actually was pregnant. Have I really not had my period? This was just fast is all. A lot faster than I had planned. A lot faster than Niall had wanted.