Chapter Four: The Unhappy Boy

Chapter Four word count: 3,543

Total word count so far:  13,668

-Demi's Point of View-

It's an alarm that wakes me. I jerk awake and instantly realize that the alarm that woke me up isn't mine. It isn't even coming from this room, but I can hear it clearly. The alarm is extremely loud as if it's meant to be heard across every room in the house. Realization instantly clicks through my mind as I realize that this must be a security system alarm.

Someone is breaking into Niall's house. I open the door just a crack to see if I can see anyone. A whirr of blonde rushes past the bedroom door and I hear another door slam. Why is Niall running so fast, and why to Grayson and Jensen? If someone would be breaking in, it wouldn't be that room considering that Niall told me he intentionally gave Grayson the room that doesn't have a fire escape because it was dangerous, especially for a toddler's curious little mind.

The alarm stops suddenly and the only noise in the house is a quiet rustling and a loud screaming that belongs to the one and only Jensen Irwin. I've already had the pleasure of waking up to his piercing cry once tonight. That baby has a cry that will haunt me in my dreams. I wait a minute at the door, but Jensen's cries continue. Instead of slowly stopping as I would suppose they would with Niall in the room, his cries have only gotten louder, as if he hasn't been soothed yet.

I walk down Niall's hall and the plush carpet makes virtually no noise with my steps. Grayson's door is open wide, unlike the firmly shut door that Niall made sure of so Jensen wouldn't wake me with his cries for the second time, 'That's what a baby monitor's for anyways.' I peek into the room and the sight leaves me stunned.

Jensen is crying louder than ever in the crib in the corner of the room, his face red and puffy as he looks for someone to soothe him. Niall's side is facing me, him shirtless and in a pair of black and green basketball shorts. He's shuffling impossibly quick and pulling off Grayson's shirt as the toddler lays in his crib, still sound asleep. Niall's has got the side of the crib slid all the way to the ground so the top of the bars that secure Grayson in his crib are completely out of the way.

He lifts the nose cannula oxygen machine that Grayson was wearing in order to let him have his pacifier, and replaces both Grayson's pacifier and his nose cannulas with a full- and portable- oxygen mask. Niall supports Grayson's head and lifts him as if he's sitting up. He looks at the screen on a little plastic machine placed on Grayson's thumb and instantly wraps him up a baby blue blanket that was draped over his wooden crib.

"Gemma will come get Jensen in a few minutes. Could you watch him 'til then?" Niall says incredibly fast. He quickly grabs Grayson's blue backpack and darts out of the room when I agree. There's a jangle of keys and suddenly the front door is slammed, leaving me alone with a screaming five month old baby. I'm not really sure what happened to Grayson, or what the alarm was, but I do know that Jensen needs someone to soothe his tears.

I pick up the baby and he instantly starts to calm. Jensen looks at me with his big hazel eyes and it makes me smile at him. He slips his hand in his mouth but continues to whimper as I rock him. I don't really have much experience with children, but I suppose what I am doing is working because Jensen stops crying. His face is still pink from his tears but he seems thoroughly content with chewing on his tiny fist. I still can't believe how heart-stoppingly cute Jensen is. He yawns slightly then continues to look at me interestingly.

About twenty minutes later, there's a knock at the door and I quickly shuffle down the hall, making sure Jensen is safely tucked in my arms. As I near the door, I notice Grayson's dinosaur blanket laying on the floor behind the couch. Niall must have dropped it as he was leaving. I hope that he realizes that he's left it before Grayson does. I bend down to grab the soft blanket and drape it over the back of the couch before answering the door.