Chapter Thirty-Eight: The Lovely Boy

Chapter thirty-eight word count: 6210 words
(a/n: i borrowed a few songs but changed the lyrics quite a bit in this !!! don't be confused; they're meant to be original but i'm shit at lyrics sorry !!)

Breakfast the morning after Elliot comes over is awkward at best. Elliot sits at the table, eating the food I made for him as silently as possible. Niall tries to joke with him a few times to lighten the mood, but Elliot doesn't budge, not until Grayson walks right up to him and hands him one of G's favorite trains. I try to tell Grayson that Elliot's trying to eat, but the tiny boy is just as good as his father at knowing when someone needs to be cheered up.

"Best one. Have it, kay?" Grayson says to Elliot, pushing the tiny, yellow train into Elliot's hand. Elliot grins widely at Grayson, ruffling the toddler's curly, blond hair a bit.

"Okay. Thank you, G-man. I'll play trains in a few minutes after I eat, yeah?" Elliot tells my tiny boy, and Grayson nods with smile. G goes back into the living room then, leaving Elliot to finish his breakfast. God, we're so lucky to have Grayson. He's the sweetest, most amazing kid in the universe. I know Elliot really likes kids; he's got a few siblings and is the oldest of all of them. He's really good with G, and now that Elliot lives a few hours from his family I think he really enjoys the time he gets to spend with Grayson. I'd be lying if I said my son doesn't absolutely adore Elliot as well. He gave Elliot his favorite yellow train with blue and orange stripes on it and I think that says a lot by itself.

"You know how Olls is doing today?" Niall asks Elliot then, Grayson having helped to break the awkward silence that was hanging in the air before. Elliot shakes his head, and I think both Niall and I are immediately confused by that. I'd think that Elliot would've called someone right when he woke up to see how Ollie is this morning and when he can see him again. Only Ollie's parents can see him right now and even though it's for safety reasons while Ollie's immune system is currently offline, I know it bothered Elliot when they told him. I just wonder why all of the sudden he's not interested. Did something happen between them?

"Did you want us to find out?" I ask, hoping that it's just something to do with Elliot being nervous to ask Ollie's family for updates. Considering how new his relationship is with all of them, I wouldn't be surprised if that's all it was. Elliot looks up at me and even though he doesn't say anything, doesn't even nod his head, I know that's what it is. He's nervous about calling Ollie's family, I suppose. I think that'll get better with time but without Ollie being there I guess tension between Elliot and the Styles family is brewing unchecked.

"I think I'm gonna go call someone and see what's going on." I tell both Niall and Elliot, pretending like I'm doing this for me when all of us know it's really more for Elliot. I decide to go up to Niall and I's room to make the call that way Elliot's got some time to himself and also that way if, by some chance, Ollie is doing poorly, I'll be able to break it to Elliot gently. I decide to call Hayden because I know he'll have all the details on Ollie and because he's got a baby too, so there's no chance he's sleeping at this time in the late morning. Spencer gets up even earlier than Grayson does.

Luckily, Ollie seems to be doing okay today. He's not showing any signs of his transplant failing and he's beginning to be a little more coherent. Hayden says he's definitely still not himself—they have him on quite strong pain medication—but he's doing much better. It's all definitely a relief to hear after Ollie was so terribly sick for so long. Hell, Ollie RSVP-ed 'Will not Attend' to our wedding before he even knew when it'd be because he thought he'd be dead by then. It was a joke, of course. I think that's how Ollie dealt with all of this. With jokes. But still. I'm just about to let Hayden go and thank him for updating me when he asks me something I'm not expecting.