Chapter 24- OLD VERSION

"You didn't really think you could just leave without saying goodbye, did you?" Kent asked, smiling down at me. 

 He was wearing black slacks,a crisp white shirt and a red tie that matched my dress. In his hand he held a beautiful corsage with three red roses. He looked absolutely amazing. 

 "I didn't think . . ." I wasn't sure what I was even going to say as I stared up at Kent, still shocked he was in front of me. He found me before I had to leave. 

 "Jackie told me what happened," Kent let go of my hand and used it to wipe a tear from my cheek. 

 "I'm sorry," I whispered, trying to look down but Kent grabbed my cheek, making me look back up at him. 

 "We'll make this work," He whispered back before leaning forward and pressing his lips against mine. For a few moments I couldn't close my eyes, the shock from Kent kissing me, finally, had me paralyzed. Kent leaned back slightly, so our lips were barely pressing against each other. "It's even better if you kiss me back, promise," 

My cheeks burned with embarrassment while Kent pressed his lips softly against mine again. He tasted like peppermint and his arms wrapped around me, pulling me closer. 

For that moment and that moment only I couldn't remember why I was upset, I couldn't remember why I was crying, I couldn't feel the crisp air around me. All I could feel was Kent against me. His lips moving gently while his hands roamed within boundaries a true gentleman would follow. What seemed like hours must have only been a few seconds before Kent pulled away from me again, both of us out of breath and the cold air allowing the clouds to mingle between us. Again Kent reached up and wiped a tear away from my eye. I had stopped crying, mostly due to shock from Kent's kiss. 

 "I've wanted to do that for a while," He muttered, pecking my lips quickly again. 

 "I've wanted you to for that for a while," I replied, not being able to hide my smile. 

 "Oh really?" Kent grabbed my face and kissed me, this time harder and with more passion than before. His tongue slipped past my lips and again peppermint filled my tastebuds. 

"Alright, this is just awkward now," Berny said, dropping my duffel bags and turning to walk away. "I assume Mr. Perfect can help you carry your bags," 

The two of us laughed as Berny shook his head and walked away, muttering something about stupid, reckless kids on his walk away. 

"This is really happening isn't it?" Kent asked, taking a small step away from me to open the small container that the corsage was in. 

 "I wish it wasn't," I whispered, already feeling tears again and feeling pathetic for crying so much. 

 "Then we'll make the most of it," Kent grabbed my hand and slipped the rose corsage over my wrist then grabbed his phone from him pocket. "Any song requests, my lady?" 

Kent pulled up his YouTube app on his phone and began typing in a song. I didn't catch the name of it before Kent shoved his phone back in his pocket with the volume on his phone turned all the way up. He grabbed his sweatshirt that I was still holding out of my hands and threw it down on my duffel bags that Berny had dropped. 

 His left arm curved around my back and pulled me close while his right hand grabbed mine and we began swaying to the soft music playing from his phone, that we could barely hear. 

 "I'm sorry this isn't the dance of your dreams," Kent said, letting go of my hand to grab my other hip instead. My arms hung around his neck and I had to crane my head back to look him in the eyes. 

 "This is perfect," Kent leaned down and kissed me again before I could say no. But just like before, we weren't able to enjoy the moment. 

 "Mercedes!" The sound of my mom's voice made me jump away from Kent, a gesture that clearly hurt him, and turn towards my mother who had just parked her car. My mom, a 53 year old attorney who's opinions were very well known, stomped over to the two of us with the look of pure disappointment on her face. 

 "Is it true?" She nearly screamed in my face, her own face becoming red. "Is it true you've been sleeping in the boys dorm?" I glanced at Kent, embarrassed that he was here to witness this mess, then back at my furious mother. 

 "Yea-" 

"She had her own room across the hall from my buddy and I, Mrs. Michaels," Kent spoke up, cutting me off mid word. My mother's glare snapped to Kent and she quickly looked him up and down before crossing her arms. 

 "Whether she had her own room or not, it was wrong for her to stay here!" My mother yelled at the two of us. Suddenly I felt like Kent and I were in 4th grade getting lectured by the teacher for misbehaving. "Get your things and get in the car, now. You can kiss your car and that phone of yours goodbye for good!" My mom grabbed my suit case and stomped her way back to the car. 

 "I'm so sorry," I whispered, reaching down to grab my duffel bags but Kent grabbed them first. 

"Don't worry about it," He followed me to the back of the car and tossed my bags in, shutting the trunk for my mom and even though she was obviously upset I could tell she liked Kent. Maybe just a bit. 

 "It was nice to meet you Mrs. Michaels," Kent said in a respectful manner, giving my mom a shy smile and by some miracle she smiled back. 

 "Same goes to you, uh?" 

"Kent," 

"Ah, Kent," My mom nodded, then opened the drivers door. "Sadie, let's go. It's a long drive," 

 She jumped in and slammed the door behind her. 

 "I guess this is goodbye," I said slowly inching towards the passenger side door. Dad wasn't with mom, thank goodness. He's probably too busy working. 

 "I'd say I'd text you but that might be impossible. I'll write to you, I promise," Kent held out his pinky finger for me to hook around my own. 

 "I'll see you later then,"

 "Yes, you will," Kent opened the door for me and closed it for me, waving good bye while my mom tore away from the school. 

 "I really just can not believe this," My mom began ranting while I sat, staring out the window, placing my phone in her wide open palm. I hardly heard what she said, my mind fogged over by the events that had just occurred. 

Kent had kissed me. My lips tingled at the memory and I couldn't stop the small smile that formed on my lips. Thankfully my mom didn't see or I'd get a whole new lecture. Even though I was leaving, I had hope I'd be able to see all my friends again. I stared down at the beautiful corsage and knew I was going to see Kent soon.

*Unknown* 

"He's not going to find out," She snapped at me while I shakily held the phone in my hand. 

 "And what about letters? How are we going to stop those?" I snapped back and she rolled her eyes, snatching the phone from my hands. 

 "It's pretty simple, you throw the letters away before they are sent out," I watched on the screen as she scrolled down and blocked Sadie's number from the phone. 

 "Do you really think that'll work?"

"Are you going to back out of your own damn plan or man up already?"

I reached out and grabbed her arm, squeezing until she whimpered and pulled her close. 

 "Don't ever speak to me like that again. I'll make sure those damn letters don't ever reach Sadie. Kent will never find out,"