Chapter sixteen

Picture of Katie Wilde on the side --- >>>

_______________________

Chapter sixteen

"I'm really happy you brought me here." Andrea told Ryder as they walked side by side at the shore. They just arrived from their tour in the cave and she had so much fun.

"Are you glad you skipped school?" Ryder asked playfully.

"Yes... No... Maybe..." She answered as they both laughed. She knew she was not okay with skipping school but being at this wonderful place makes her want to skip school everyday. It was peaceful and relaxing.

Ryder sat at the sand near the shore dipping his feet on the water as the wave splashed through them. Andrea did the same thing and sat as well enjoying the water.

"How'd you even find this place?" She asked him thoughtfully. He thought about it and answered.

"My grandfather actually found this place. He got lost in the woods ones and he ended up getting here. After that, he brought me here and it became our secret place. This is where I always hide from my dad when I was little. See that cabin over there." He pointed towards a wooden cabin near the woods. Andrea nodded in response.

"My grandfather built that so we can camp here during the summer. Just me and him." He said a smile tugging on his lips by the memory then he let out a sad sigh afterwards. "But time flies and before I know it, he was gone. Every time I would come here wishing he was gonna come back but no such luck. He was really gone, dead, lifeless." He said bluntly as tears formed in Andrea's eyes.

"I'm sorry about what happened to him." Andrea said sniffing causing Ryder to glance at her.

"Why are you crying?" He asked as a tear finally slid out of her eye. Ryder brought his thumb towards her cheek and wiped the tear gently.

"Because I know what it's like to lose someone you love the most. The person that gives you the courage and persevere you to do anything. The person who you hang out with most of your time." She replied as more tears slid out of her eyes.

"I know, it sucks. But the good thing is we know we're doing everything we're doing now for them. They will always inspire us." He said as he let Andrea rest her head on his shoulders. "We always get through with it."

They stayed like that for quite a long time. Andrea, resting her head on his shoulder, while Ryder's arm was wrapped around her shoulders lightly. It seemed like her head fits perfectly on his shoulders like it was made to be there.

There was a comfortable silence between them until a question popped into Andrea's head.

"Wait," she said lifting her head a little to see Ryder. "If this was suppose to be a secret place, then why'd you bring me here?" She asked curiously getting in the way of her.

"I don't know." He shrugged answering her in all honesty. "Maybe because I feel like I can trust you. Like I know that you'll love it here and you won't tell anyone about this place."

Andrea was just staring at him the whole time. She blinked when Ryder turned his eyes to glance at her. "Y-you trust me?" She whispered feeling the happiness in her system erupt.

"I guess so." He said as they stared into each other's eyes. Andrea felt her heart pounding in her chest like it was about to jump out. Ryder's palms were sweating and he could feel the heat inside him. He had the urge to just kiss Andrea and taste those glossy pink lips.

Their faces were coming closer and closer until they were a breath away. Andrea could feel his breathing on her lips and the smell of his cologne quickly invaded her nose. It must have been the closest she'd ever been with a guy.

Ryder was an inch away from her lips. He could even taste it from afar. Her lips totally smelled like strawberries and Ryder couldn't wait to kiss her. Their lips were almost touching.

'Ring... Ring... Ring...' His phone interrupted.

"Dammit!" He cursed under his breath pulling away from Andrea. That seemed to snapped her out of her fantasy. She shook her head firmly. 'What would have happen if his phone didn't ring? What would have happen if we kiss? Would I regret it or love it?' Questions clouded her head.

Ryder looked at his screen and an unknown number was plastered on it. He didn't recognize the number but answered it anyway.

"Hello?" He answered moving out of Andrea's ear shot. No one was replying so he spoke again. "Hello? Is anybody there?" He asked but all he could hear was the breathing of the other person on the phone.

Then all of a sudden, the line went dead. Ryder stared at his phone curiously. 'What was that all about? I cannot believe someone called interrupting me and Andrea and it wasn't even important.' He thought bitterly. But he thought about what almost happened between him and Andrea. He knew he was starting having feelings with her but he had to stop. He can't like her. He just can't!

Andrea looked over her shoulder to him and smiled. "Everything alright?" She asked him.

Ryder nodded and gave her a small smile. "Come on, it's getting dark. I'll take you home before we worry your parents." He said bluntly walking back to the car's direction.

Andrea eyes him suspiciously. She knew something was off about him. 'What's wrong with him? One moment he was happy and he almost kissed her, and now, he's acting himself again like nothing happened. Yeah, he is totally a jerk!' Andrea thought angrily.

She let out a sigh and followed him anyway. He was probably a meter away from her but Andrea didn't bother to call him to slow down. Ryder didn't bother to wait up for her as well. They were both stubborn and they knew it.

~ * ~ * ~

Ryder pulled over to Andrea's driveway. The drive to her house was awkward and quiet. They could feel the tension between them but Ryder didn't say anything. He needed to stop thinking about her. He needed to stop liking her.

"Thanks again for today, Ryder." Andrea said gratefully flashing her a smile but Ryder just nodded not even sparing her a glance. There was silence again.

"Look, about what happened-" Andrea started but Ryder cut her off.

"Don't worry about it. It wasn't meant to happen. I was just out of my mind. Just forget about it. It was just a mistake." He said without glancing at her.

Andrea couldn't help but feel like she had been stab on the chest. She was really hurt. How could he say that? She thought he actually like her - that maybe she had a chance. But boy, was she wrong. She knew she was growing feelings for him. She admits that she likes him. But it saddens her that he didn't like her back. Getting rejected sucks!

Tears soon prickled in her eyes and she tried her hardest to keep herself from crying in front of him. She didn't want him to see her weakness and that she was affected. She bit her lip trying to keep her sobs from coming.

She nodded in response and opened the car door. "Goodnight." Ryder mumbled but she didn't say anything back. If she did, she would have burst into tears. She shut the door and quickly ran inside their house not glancing back.

Ryder watched as she ran away from his car. He felt guilty and upset for what he told her but it was the only way to keep her away from him. Away from danger. He knew he did the right thing.

But why does he feel so horrible...

_______________________

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys. I've been really busy lately and I'm trying to finish my other book to get it done already. After I finish writing that, I'll probably update "Lucky me" a lot sooner.

Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter. THEY ALMOST KISSED!

I know, insane! Stay tuned for the rest...

Don't forget to VOTE, COMMENT, and FAN.