[ 08 ] vacant faith

00:00 |───────── 25:39

     SCREAMS FILLED THE NIGHT seemingly from all fronts as Jinny huddled under a tree near the campfire. The flames danced with wanton abandon, oblivious to the high tensions that were currently electrifying the camp. Goggles kid moaned in pain from the dropship and a little girl screamed from night terrors. Jinny watched as Clarke exited the ship and turned sharply to identify the source of the shrill cries, making her way to the opposite side of the camp.

     Jinny closed her eyes but sleep ultimately eluded her. Sighing heavily, she stood up and made her way towards the dropship. It was like there was an infectious disease running rampant inside it, making people stay far away. Those who were bunking on the lower level kept shooting agitated glances at the ceiling. She climbed up the ladder, listening to the agonising groans from the boy grow louder. Jinny tried to recall his name—something like James? Jesse? Jason?

     Her head popped out of the opening of the hatch and she looked around, finding only Monty sitting in a corner and watching his friend squirm deliriously. The boy's lips were white, face ashen and clammy skin dripping with sweat. He must be feverish and she was afraid an infection might be consuming him. Jinny pulled herself over the edge and crouched down next to Monty.

     "How is he?" she asked quietly.

     The boy merely shook his head, sadness washing his features down into a frown. She dropped herself to the floor and sat cross-legged as she examined the suffering boy, covered with jackets and quilted insulation fabric.

     "What about you?" Jinny looked to Monty. "Have you even eaten?"

     "Yeah, a little," he replied, shifting uneasily. "But I don't wanna leave him."

     "I understand." She turned back to the moaning boy again. "If I was in your position, I wouldn't either."

     "Seems that all I can do is to watch him suffer." Monty sighed forlornly. She stared at him from the corners of her eyes, finding something spark inside her. It was a familiar sensation that she had only ever felt once before—when she first met Octavia.