[ 14 ] star tide

00:00 |───────── 25:47

     HOLDING ON TO ANGER was like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. In Jinny's current predicament, that was accurately true. She glared down at Bellamy as he stood up from the river bed, throwing water out of his hair with a vigorous shake of his head. Pushing the sodden locks from his face, he looked up at her with pleading eyes. Her wilting stare could curdle any known substance or composition in the entire universe.

     "Jin," he started when she suddenly hurled herself forwards, dropping forcefully into the stream along with him. A wave splashed up into his face from her fall and he wiped the droplets away once more. His composure faltered, eyes widening in horror when he saw her taking a step towards him. He quickly moved away instinctively.

     "Get back here!" she yelled at the top of her lungs, her voice holding a feral growl. "Bellamy Blake, I am going to drown you right here in this fucking river!"

     The taller, larger man in front of her shook his head before turning around to flee. He retreated towards the opposite bank, his longer strides easily putting a safe distance between them. Despite the fact that she was small and probably only weighed about a hundred pounds, she was capable of beating down an opponent three times her size. He had witnessed it first hand before, and he obviously had no intention of experiencing it personally.

     "You know I had to do it! I told you, they'll kill me!" he shouted.

     "Now I'm going to kill you!" she screamed back.

     He turned back around to trudge through the reeds and silted sediment, tripping over a rock in his haste. His shirt clung tightly around his defined torso as his pants dripped heavily onto the ground. Jinny picked up her pace, crossing towards the other side just in time to see the man take off into the underbrush on her right.

     "Yeah, you better run!" she yelled. "The next time I see you, you're gonna be dead! You hear me?!"

     Jinny scoffed angrily as the only reply to her warning was the shudder of leaves and twigs breaking under heavy foot falls in the direction of Bellamy's escape. She continued to glare at the sounds, hands on her hips, when she suddenly heard something resembling laughter followed by a crash in the trees. It came from somewhere nearby, above a bend in the river upstream. She strained her eyes to find its source, swearing she heard the voice crying out in pain. Maybe Bellamy had ran in that direction and slipped while he was running. Good.