[ 42 ] white hand

━━━━━━━━━━━

       WHITE HAND

━━━━━━━━━━━

       THERE WAS A REASON WHY Jinny was feared on the Ark, and that was her ruthlessness. She was efficient and deadly, using people and condemning friend or foe alike. There was nothing that could stand in her way; she took them all out with gleeful malice. The Chancellor himself sanctioned all her security protocols and raids, because even he knew that her methods would ameliorate. Jinny had floated and arrested numerous people in her days as an Ark Guard, and that was the reason behind her easy promotions. Not because her father was the Commander or that her mother had been a Councilwoman. She was just that good.

       The only people who had been exempted from her wrath were the Blakes. Aurora took her in and became the mother she lost, Octavia was the sister she never had, and Bellamy... was everything she ever needed and more. But in the end, she had still failed them.

       "Hey, Jin. Jin, are you okay?"

       Jinny opened her eyes tentatively, feeling the skin exposed to the acid fog tingle as she rubbed her face. It had only been a couple of seconds, compared to the last time she had doused her hand with the deadly cocktail. She groaned in reply and pushed herself up onto her elbows, looking around to find Octavia and Scott shining their flashlights around the dark interior they had escaped into. Bellamy offered her a hand, which she took to pull herself up to a stand. He helped dust the cobwebs and dust from her jacket.

       She could feel something crawling up her hand and she looked down to find a spindly long-legged spider sitting there from the scant light. She whimpered loudly, quickly flinging the arachnid away from her and shuffling closer to Bellamy. The Ark never had things like these.

       Scott chuckled at her and she glared at him indignantly as Bellamy rummaged around in the pack on her back. "Are you laughing at your commanding officer, Sergeant?"

       "You're not reinstated yet so you're still not my commanding officer anymore," he replied. "And yes, I was. Earth's softened you up, Jinny."

       She rolled her eyes. "Thanks. I'll remember that."

       "In a good way though," he insisted. "Makes you more human."

       "I'll take that as a compliment," she responded dryly as she switched on the search light on her rifle. "Where the hell are we anyway?"

       "It's like a garage," Bellamy answered, flicking the beam from his flashlight in every direction

       "It's like a garage," Bellamy answered, flicking the beam from his flashlight in every direction. It illuminated a few cars that were parked in neat rows, a collection of dust resting heavily on top of their once glossy surfaces. The entire room was made of concrete, which would explain why it had survived almost a century sequestered away. From deep within its bowels, the sounds of squeaking rats and flapping bat wings resonated loudly around them.