[ 43 ] monsters within

━━━━━━━━━━━

       MONSTERS WITHIN

━━━━━━━━━━━

       LEAVE OR DIE

       LEAVE OR DIE. That was what everyone back in camp was repeating when they returned to fetch Clarke. They had stashed Lincoln in the dropship, making sure to chain him up real good before they left him with Octavia. Bellamy hadn't been too keen on leaving her alone, but modern medicine was what Lincoln really needed right then. However, as Jinny stood on the fringe of the crowd gathered in front of the towering ring of Alpha Station, she shook her head in pure disbelief. Thelonius Jaha had returned, lo and behold, trying to shepherd his people away into a new era of light beyond the dead zone.

       She was pretty sure the Grounders called it a dead zone for a reason.

       "What makes you think we'll make it there?" a man asked skeptically from the audience.

       "Because we made it here," Jaha said with all his duplicitous confidence. "I have faith. And right now, given the alternative, that's good enough for me."

       "Not for us!" Clarke protested loudly and the people turned their heads to look at her. "If we leave here, what happens to our people in Mount Weather?"

       "As your mother said," Jaha responded, "that is a very difficult decision to make. But the time has come for each and every one of us to ask, 'Is this how the story of our people ends? Did we come all this way just to die tomorrow?' Because if we're not gone by the time that sun rises, that is exactly what will happen."

       Jinny groaned obnoxiously as she rolled her eyes so hard she was she sure she had strained a muscle, turning to Bellamy with pronounced vexation. "If someone doesn't shut him up soon, I will!" she hissed.

       "I should've shot him twice," he muttered to her, then added, "or maybe used the entire clip."

       She nodded at him angrily as Abby told the Ark citizens to report to their station supervisor and gather emergency supplies. Hopefully, not for Jaha's nth suicide mission. Bellamy surged forwards once the crowd started to disperse, grabbing hold of Clarke's arm before she could take another step forward to the station door. She turned around to look at them, blue eyes wide with surprise before her eyebrows furrowed over them with concern.

       "Hey, where have you guys been?" she asked.

       "In the dropship," Bellamy answered. "You need to come back with us right now."

       "Why? What's happened?" Clarke inquired, her tone turning serious.

       "Something really bad," Jinny told her. "And we need your medical expertise for it."

       "Is it Octavia?"

       Bellamy shook his head. "We'll explain on the way. Get your medkit; meet us at Raven's gate."