[ 62 ] no return

━━━━━━━━━━━

NO RETURN

━━━━━━━━━━━

JINNY ALREADY KNEW what they were expecting to find when they arrived on level five, but it still stole the breath from her lungs at the sight of all the people that they had killed—that she had murdered. Their bodies were still warm, eyes closed and no longer suffering from the devastation that had been inflicted upon them. There were faces of the elderly, the children, the mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters that had lived together in peace before their advent. Plates of half-eaten food laid neatly on the dining tables, forgotten and wasted.

It was a genocide of an entire population.

Clarke walked forwards and they followed after her, coming to a halt when they found Jasper still kneeling on the floor with Maya in his arms. The radiation burns looked worse up close and Jinny felt guilt forming a tight knot in her stomach as she tried to look everywhere else but at her. The boy turned his grief stricken eyes towards them, red and rimmed with tears that continued to roll down his cheeks.

"What did you do?" he asked.

Jinny's voice sounded weak when she said, "I'm sorry, Jasper."

"We had no choice," Clarke told him with equal emotion.

"I was going to kill Cage!" he cried. "If you'd just given me one more minute, it would've been over."

       "It was too late," Jinny whispered

"It was too late," Jinny whispered. The despair in his voice sent tears pricking at her own eyes and she knew, that it would haunt her for the rest of her days. Maya had been innocent, all the people in that room were. They killed them without mercy.

"Jasper," Bellamy said gently. "They never would have stopped."

"We have to go to the dorm," Clarke told them with a hardened edge in her voice. She hesitated briefly before moving past him with Jinny and Bellamy following after her. Monty lingered to speak with his friend but Jasper was completely inconsolable. Who would be when their loved one just suffered a cruel demise? She'd been in so much pain.

Jinny had a fleeting thought as she placed herself in the boy's shoes, with Bellamy lying in her arms instead and his heart no longer beating within his chest. She would have screamed relentlessly, cursing the people responsible and ignoring everything else around her. To be unable to feel the warmth of his hands again or hear his voice murmur in her ear, and his lips against hers. It was the worst punishment that she could ever imagine enduring. And without meaning to, her chest shuddered as she felt hot wet tears spill over her cheeks. She halted by the opening to the corridor and turned towards the opposite side so that the others wouldn't be able to see her face.

"Jin?" Bellamy questioned when he noticed her stopping.

"I'll catch up in a bit," she said, carefully mustering her voice to remain steady.