[ 10 ] start anew

00:00 |───────── 34:58

     SHE NEVER CRIED since she was fourteen and she promised her father that she would never do it again. He told her that crying could never undo the past and never will—it was just something people did to comfort themselves in moments of insecurity. Jinny was raised to be a machine, because it was the only way she could survive in their world. She was the prodigal child; perfect and untouchable.

     "Hey." A hand popped out from under the flap of her tent to lift it open and Bellamy's face peeked through the gap. She was sitting cross-legged on the opposite side, looking like she had been meditating. Jinny opened her eyes to stare at him unhappily for intruding on her personal space. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay." He invited himself inside.

     "Why wouldn't I be okay?" She arched an eyebrow with a deadpan expression across her features.

     He glanced at her before taking a seat on the ground amongst the insulation fabric that she had hijacked from the dropship. Bellamy regarded her with a piercing gaze that tried to penetrate the multitude of barriers she held. He had always never been able to get very far.

     "A lot has happened," he replied quietly.

     "Rule Three, Bellamy," she said impassively. "Never show weakness."

     "You cannot seriously still be upholding that?" His voice was laced with disbelief.

     "Aren't you?" she looked at him pointedly.

     Bellamy averted his gaze with a shrug and Jinny shut her eyes once more. She heard him shuffle in front of her before feeling his body draw closer to hers, prompting the woman to lift her eyelids. Her gaze instantly fell onto his hand which held up a leather strap that dangled between his fingertips. A multitude of different emotions that she would never be able to decipher flooded her system as her throat sucked in a sharp breath of air. She raised her hands towards it and he dropped the bracelet onto her palms.