[ 56 ] deep wounds

━━━━━━━━━━━

       DEEP WOUNDS

━━━━━━━━━━━

       THERE WAS ASH IN HER LUNGS as she stirred to consciousness, choking on air before crying out in pain. Blood was everywhere, coating her hands and staining her clothes. Her blood. Dripping from her lips and fingertips, the wounds that had re-opened again from the trauma. At this rate, they would never heal. She could hear the distant wails from the villagers above her, screaming agony into the wasteful abandon of the furious night. Her breaths came out shallow, harsh, heaving desperately for life. Hands grabbed hold of her shoulders and Raulf's face swam in front of her eyes, a gash on his head running crimson down his temple.

       "Jinny!" His voice yelled over the ringing in her ears. "Jinny, stay with me!"

       A piercing pain shot through her side as he attempted to move her and her hand gripped onto the end of the bar that was impaled through her flesh. She screamed in anguish, a tear starting to leak down her cheek, trailing a deep groove through the dust plastered against her skin. There was only one thought running through her mind; she was going to die. Panic tore through her chest, exacerbating the gaping wound in her body, but she couldn't hold it in.

       "Oh, my God. Oh, my God, I'm gonna die!"

       "Jinny? Jinny." She heard her father's voice call out to her hoarsely and fingers gripped tightly around her own. "You're going to be fine. It's just a flesh wound, there's no internal bleeding."

       "I'm still gonna bleed out," she rasped between gasps.

       "The bar is stopping the wound from bleeding out," he told her. "And... listen."

        She took deep breaths to stop the convulsing breaths from escaping her lips

        She took deep breaths to stop the convulsing breaths from escaping her lips. There was a loud twanging of steel against steel resonating loudly from somewhere behind them, through the cracks in the debris. Somebody else was trapped down there, there were other survivors. Jinny finally managed to calm herself, leaning her head back against a slab of rock.

       "Yu ste yuj, Jini," Raulf said, tearing strips from his shirt to bandage her wounds. "I will not abandon you, my friend."

       "That was a missile attack," Shumway said, looking around the cramped space that they were trapped in. "The Mountain Men."

       "Yes," Raulf responded. "According to legend, the last time they used a missile, it left a hole in the woods that you could not see across. We're lucky to be alive right now."

       Jinny winced as he tied off another bandage around the large wound on her midriff, from when Indra had dragged her blade through her skin. She could feel the bitterness creep up her throat once more, turning her eyes into jagged obsidians as her lips curled into a scowl. Her teeth grounded against each other with deep-seated hatred.