[ 32 ] the return

━━━━━━━━━━━

       THE RETURN

━━━━━━━━━━━

       THE BLACK JACKET that she adorned was both familiar and comfortable, a pistol in one hand with her trusty shock baton attached to the belt around her hips. She stalked through the forest floor like a predator on the prowl, senses on optimum standby as she pushed through the flourishing undergrowth. There were instances where she had to halt, throwing a fist up to her side for caution as she listened and watched intently. The smoke from the dropship zone grew nearer by the second, and she could smell the leftover rocket fumes and stench of death on the slight breeze.

       Shrill cries pierced through the air on her right and she turned sharply to locate its source, lowering her stance and moving forwards. There was a clearing beyond the boundary of the shrubberies, and she hid amidst the fronds and the glaucous leaves. A scuffle had broken out between the survivors of the inferno and Jinny smirked as she caught sight of their identities. Kane came up beside her with his gun held up at the ready but she reached out to stop him while mouthing, "My kill." She took aim just as Tristan raised his sword for a clean blow. The bullet shot out with a reverberating bang, finding its mark through the Grounder general's skull, and Bellamy turned around in surprise.

       She stepped out from her shroud, holstering her weapon as she strode forwards to meet him. His face was covered entirely with blood, some parts dried while a fresh wave flowed freely from the broken nose he recently sustained. It did nothing to ruin his handsome features though. He breathed heavily as he stood up to greet her and she hugged him tightly. "What took you so long?" he asked gruffly.

       Jinny merely grinned widely as she whistled, and the remainder of the Ark Guard emerged from the dense foliage behind her. Councillor Kane and Commander Shumway led the main group, and the delinquents stared in awe as their people arrived to secure their safety. Monroe and Sterling looked at each other jubilantly at their entrance. "We're here now," Kane told them. "Everything's gonna be okay."

       Bellamy started violently at the sight of Jinny's father and he stumbled backwards as if he had just met with a ghost

       Bellamy started violently at the sight of Jinny's father and he stumbled backwards as if he had just met with a ghost. "Bellamy Blake," Commander Shumway stated as he stared at him intently with an assault rifle in hand. "Why am I not surprised to see you still alive?"

       "C-Commander." Bellamy gave a meek salute with his hands still bound together.

       "Okay, let's not make this anymore awkward than it already is," Jinny proclaimed as she walked over to cut his ropes.

       "Doesn't he know?" Bellamy hissed when she was in front of him.

       "Of course he doesn't," she hissed back.