[ 44 ] mirror opposites

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

       MIRROR OPPOSITES

━━━━━━━━━━━━━

        BELLAMY DID NOT RESPOND WELL to Nyko's presence when they ascended the ladder to the top level. He immediately grabbed his rifle on the side, clicking the safety off and pointing the weapon in the Grounder's direction for the second time that night. "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Jinny moved forwards quickly to put herself between Nyko and the barrel. "It's okay, he's Lincoln's friend and he's here to help."

       "He's their healer," Octavia added.

       "He's seizing again!" Clarke exclaimed as Lincoln's grunts filled the air. Everyone turned to look down at him as white froth bubbled from his lips and his body convulsed against the restraints. Bellamy turned back to Nyko and cocked his head to the side, indicating that he should help. Nyko stepped forwards, his dark eyes watching Bellamy as he lowered his gun. The Grounder knelt on the floor and unfurled a heavy roll of medicinal supplies in front of him. There were stained and aged bottles that held various herbs and antidotes. He picked a bottle with clear liquid inside and unscrewed the cap. There was a rubber dropper wedged into the mouth of the glass.

       "Yu gonplei ste odon," he said in their foreign tongue, leaning forwards to trickle a single drop into Lincoln's mouth.

       "Wait!" Clarke yelled sharply, catching the droplet with her hand.

       The ring of a metal blade being pulled resounded and Bellamy immediately held up his rifle again, just as Jinny grabbed the shock baton on the floor nearby. "Back off, right now!" Bellamy shouted angrily, taking aim at the Grounder's head.

       "Yu gonplei ste odon," Clarke repeated, her eyes flickering in thought. "It's what they say before death. He's not trying to heal him, he's trying to kill him."

       "Nyko," Octavia said sternly. "Is it true?"

       "Yes," he replied immediately. "Death is the only way."

       "Hold on," Clarke said. "There could be a way to bring him back."

       "None that I've ever seen," he told her, dropping the knife to the floor with a loud clink.

       "We have to go!" Finn's voice suddenly called from the hatch, and their eyes flicked to him in surprise. They hadn't noticed him coming up the ladder with everything that was happening. "The camp is leaving."

       "What? They can't—" Jinny started but was interrupted by Nyko's furious roar.

       "You!" He stood up and rushed forwards to Finn with his hands extended. "Ripa!" He grabbed hold of the boy's neck and pushed him against the wall, dangling him a few inches above the floor.