Chapter 5

Alex

Forty minutes and a mile and a half of sweat, tears, and suitcase-related suffering later, I'm finally where I belong.

At least, I think this is where I belong.

See below.

ALEX'S OFFICIAL FIRST DAY OF COLLEGE OBSERVATION CHECKLIST:

Huge mob of mainly female students--check.

Randomly assorted palm trees--check.

All you can eat dining hall--check.

Two fancy-schmancy looking dorms strategically positioned next to my grey/beige future home--check.

Ladies and gentlemen...now, I've actually arrived.

And I'm hot, tired, and sweating like a half-pig, half-human hybrid.

If I was a normal person, I'd roll up my sleeves, dart into the nearest bathroom, and change into my cutesy blue and gold Soffe shorts like everybody else.

But seeing as I'm the only girl on campus who's legs look like an advertisement for the Twilight Books, that's not happening.

Whatever.

Pale people are people too.

Thank God for leggings and long sleeves.

I tug on the strings of my light weight hoodie, slip into my sunglasses, and generally hide from the outside world as I move into the fray of first years.

Every single person strutting across the courtyard seems runway beautiful. The girls are tall, unrealistically pretty, and popular. The boys remind me of a certain someone I'm never mentioning again.

Maybe this is where the cool kids go to college.

Maybe my admission was a mistake 'cause little miss Alex Summers does not fit into the line of LA Barbies gathering like flies in front of my dorm.

Crowd-based anxiety rips through my chest as I search for the nearest authoritative figure to help me. A gaggle of segway police stand semi-menacingly in front of Covel Commons warily eyeing the same mob of girls that seems to keep growing in size.

I swallow my hesitation and flag down a stout, mustached, campus cop who looks a lot like a blonde pot-bellied version of Chuck Norris.

"Excuse me, sir. Do you know how I can get into Canyon Point? I'm supposed to move in today, but there's so many people and I was wondering if you could help me--"

"--Get an autograph?" He asks.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Wait, don't tell me, you want one of those InstaCam or Instagram pictures with that uh--tween heartthrob who just moved in, right?"

A furrow breaks out between my eyebrows, and the easy going smile on his face fades.

"I'm not sure what you mean," I say.

He steps off his segway and leans in so close I can smell the Subway foot long he probably had for lunch on his breath.

"Listen, sweetheart. I've seen this act before. Since this morning, at least fifty other girls have played the "doe eyed and innocent card" before you. So take your fake suitcases, and your fake move in story, and your tiny teenie bopper dreams, and go somewhere else. Boys, let's roll."

Fat, evil Chuck Norris hops back up on to his segway and zooms off to disperse a few fangirls before disappearing out of sight.

Freshman Survival Tip #2: Don't rely on segway cops for anything--ever.