Chapter 17

NOTE: Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook version of this chapter voiced by kaelking12 (Kristen M.) featuring music by Sara Bareilles, The 1975, This Will Destroy You, and Andrew Belle.

Alex

Everything's spinning.

Tilting.

Upside down.

And I can't make it stop.

I need it to stop.

Please stop.

Ugh, my head.

My skull is melting, cracking, throbbing.

Oozing and bursting to the point where my brain is leaking through my temples.

I sit up. Dizzy, disoriented. Hoping a change in position will fix things.

But the second I do, my skull splits in two.

Pain pounds between my temples and drags me back down to the bed.

I sink into a mess of sheets and breathe in their scent.

Sandalwood and Old Spice?

It comforts me and confuses me. I try placing the smell, but the cracking in my head fractures my thoughts.

I open and close my eyes, like finding a way out of the blackness will ease the pain, but it doesn't.

Where am I, even?

Everything's dark. Silent.

I can't place myself.

I stare out at a pile of black pillows and blankets like staring will somehow make them more familiar.

But they aren't mine.

This bed isn't mine.

I wish this body wasn't mine, but it is.

My body hates me.

Every cell's in rebellion. My muscles tense, my blood races, and suddenly I become all too aware of the heat pulsing underneath my skin.

Everything's warm. Too warm. My arms, legs, and back all slow-burning under the blankets. I dig my fingers into the sheets and pull myself away from the heat radiating from the space behind me.

But it pulls me back.

It wraps its hands around my waist and holds me still. I reach down to pry its fingers away from me, but they weave their way in between mine.

The bed shifts and the weight of another body presses against me.

The throbbing in my head surges, and my brain spills a series of half-blurred images all over my conscience.

Club.

Dance floor.

Lights.

Music.

Heat.

Warmth.

His lips.

His hands.

His mouth.

My mouth.