Chapter 14 (Part 1)

*Note: Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook Version of this chapter voiced by (Kristen Maglonzo) featuring music by The All American Rejects, Something Corporate, and Rooney.

Elias

Wait.

Maybe I heard her wrong.

But I'm pretty sure Jersey thinks I'm gay.

Like straight up dating my therapist kinda gay.

And I'm not too sure how the hell that happened, but I'm thinking 'bout rolling with it for a little while longer 'cause the look on her face right now is priceless.

God, I wish I had a camera.

Jersey's practically got sparkles coming out of her eyes and her bottom lip's tucked between her teeth like she's hoping I'll tell her she's right about the whole gay thing.

I mean, I don't know why she wants to be right about something like that, but I'm not gonna burst her bubble just yet.

'Cause let's be honest, she's fucking adorable when she's wrong.

"Jersey, you don't seriously think I'm like with Dan, with Dan, right?" I ask.

She sits up and runs her hand through her bangs. I tried doing that earlier, but I'm pretty sure it freaked her out. Point taken.

"Yeah! I mean, he didn't say it outright or anything because I'm sure you both wanna take your time telling people, but either way, I'm really happy for you guys."

Something about the way she's talking bothers me. Maybe it's 'cause she's clearly bullshitting about being happy or maybe it's the fact that she's running with a lie I'm not too sure she believes.

Whatever it is, she's off.

Or maybe that's just me.

God knows, I haven't been this high in a long time so maybe me and Jersey aren't even having this conversation.

Shit. Are we having this conversation?

I hope so.

I like talking to her.

Watching her mouth move is better than prime time television.

"Are you for real,right now?" I ask.

"Yes."

"No, I mean like actually real?"

I reach out and stroke her hand which definitely was supposed to be a poke but whatever.

Jersey's eyebrows do that weird thing where they bunch together like little caterpillars whenever I say or do something stupid. But I'm not being stupid. At least, I think I'm not.It's not my fault Vicodin makes you feel like you're in The Matrix.

I'm just trying to figure out what's real and what's not, cause nothing really makes sense right now.

Like, I played a fucking concert, almost made out with the girl of my dreams, and now she thinks I'm gay.

If that situation's not question-worthy I don't know what is.

Woah.

I used a big word.

"Worthy."

Holy shit I'm a genius.

Vicodin makes people smart.

Even people like me!

Nice.

They should put that in the nitro-glycerin facts on the bottle. People should know about that kinda thing. Real talk.