GRAND FINALE: Chapter 56 *NEW*

NOTE: AUDIOBOOK LISTENERS! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A CHAPTER TO MISS! FEEL FREE TO TUNE IN ABOVE AND CHECK OUT THE INCREDIBLE HEARTWRENCHING PERFORMANCE BY kaelking12! Even if you're a reader who doesn't usually listen check it out if you have the ...

NOTE: AUDIOBOOK LISTENERS! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A CHAPTER TO MISS! FEEL FREE TO TUNE IN ABOVE AND CHECK OUT THE INCREDIBLE HEARTWRENCHING PERFORMANCE BY kaelking12! Even if you're a reader who doesn't usually listen check it out if you have the time! It is well worth the listen!

Elias

I've been counting the mornings lately.

Tracking sunrises more than sunsets 'cause the best part of the day is when it begins.

When the light comes spilling in through the windows of Ryker's van and there's nothing else around but the quiet. I've needed a lot of that over the last couple days. Time to think. To work out the thoughts that've been kicking around in my head ever since reality knocked me off my feet forty-eight hours ago.

People tend to say that everything happens for a reason.

But when it happened- in the middle of what I thought was gonna be a normal afternoon-I couldn't figure out why.

I'm still trying to figure it out.

Still trying to deal.

But mornings like this one make things easy one minute and terrible the next 'cause--

--she's here.

It's five a.m.

Five a.m. and I'm wide awake just listening to Jersey breathe. Her head's propped up against my chest, hair spilling out across my skin, fanning out like feathers.

Her hands are tangled in mine and they're soft and vulnerable like they've always been. But I'm holding onto her a little tighter today. I'm holding on to every part of her that I can before she leaves.

Every feeling.

Every sense.

Her touch.

Her smell.

The sight of her.

She's messy, wild, and everywhere. Like she's always been. And that's how she'll always be to me.

Everywhere.

Today's the big day. The morning she finally heads back home now that both of our finals are over.

Hell Week hasn't been easy on either of us. We've had to sneak around just to get to our classes undetected and then beg Ryker to let us borrow his van after school just so we could spend some time alone together.

After the weekend trip to the fair, we got lucky enough to snag a couple great nights together. Nights where Jersey sat on my lap with a book in her face, trying to study, while I spent most of my time trying to distract her.