Chapter 36 (Part 2)

Elias

Jersey eases off me after God knows how long and flashes a slightly embarrassed smile that tempts me into kissing her all over again.

"How'd you find me?" She asks.

I brush a couple strands of hair away from her eyes so I can get a better look at her.

She's a little shy about staring at me after that kiss, but she doesn't back down. I like her quiet confidence. It's subtle, sexy, and she doesn't even know it.

"Magic and traffic. I spotted you from the street which may or may not make me a stalker. Speaking of alter-egos, where'd you get those moves, J? I wasn't wrong about you being a New Jersey Ninja Turtle," I say.

She laughs to herself, and my pulse responds to the sound.

"My dad made me take Jiujitsu classes in the Spring because he was worried about me going away to college and not being able to defend myself."

"I think you're good to go, and if your martial arts fail, you've always got me. If any creep gets anywhere near you, I'll handle it."

"Boyfriend perks?" She says.

I respond with a quick peck on the lips.

"Boyfriend perks."

Jersey weaves her fingers between mine and stares down at our hands.

"I'm sorry--about leaving earlier. I tried calling to tell you where I was, but Lisa picked up, and then my phone died, so--"

"Forgiven. You scared me for a little bit though. I thought--something happened to you...and Lisa did too. I was--we were both really worried," I say.

Lisa's name tastes like a lie when it rolls off my tongue, but I don't want Jersey to know that I was the only one freaking out about her being gone. I don't want to come off as desperate even though I was. I didn't know how I was gonna find her if I found her at all, and the whole idea of her being missing completely fucked with my head.

The last time I got a girl caught up in my mistakes, it cost her her life. Even if it hadn't, Lacey would've left me after that video came out. Everyone finding out that she was the girl I was involved with killed her long before I did. I don't want that happening to anyone ever again, especially Jersey.

"Is Lisa mad at me? For leaving, I mean?" She asks.

"She's mad at the whole fucking world, Jersey. You didn't do anything wrong."

"I did enough."

She trails off sits back on her feet, but I stop her before she can retreat into herself.