Chapter 24 (Part 2)

*Note: Click the Youtube link above to listen to the Audiobook Version of this chapter voiced by Kristen (kaelking12) featuring music by Hidden in Plain View, FOB, Peace.

Elias

Traffic.

Bumper to bumper all the way up Westwood Blvd.

And, if that shit wasn't bad enough, the fact that I haven't said anything to Jersey in the last fifteen minutes is the icing on the fucking cake.

I don't even know what happened.

We were fine when we left Indigo's place. I was talking, she was talking. She was even joking around with me a little bit to keep me from focusing on the tabloid notifications blowing up my phone.

But the second we got in the car, things got awkward.

And I'm not talking, slow conversation awkward, I'm talking we can't even look at or speak to each other awkward.

And I'm not too sure why that's still happening.

Okay, no that's bullshit, I totally do, but I guess I just wanna believe that I've gotten to the point where last year's memories won't get the best of me.

But I'm drowning in them.

The last time we were in a car together, I was still struggling to figure out how to deal with the fact that I was falling for her.

Back then I was struggling with everything.

I screwed things up so badly at the start of that night, I thought Jersey was gonna leave me stranded in a police station parking lot.

But she didn't.

We drove, and talked, and I told her some less-than-cool story about how liking her was a lot like being in love a Hot Wheels car, and she laughed. God, did she laugh. And I fell in love with that laugh right then and there.

She didn't know how pretty she looked just sitting in the driver's seat hand draped over the wheel, smiling up at the stars.

She had one foot up on the dashboard and was wearing these tight-ripped jeans that left just enough of her legs to the imagination, and this little white tank-top that she eventually let me pull her out of.

I remember trying so hard not to stare at her mouth too much but never being able to stop.

And her climbing over to the passenger's seat, pressing her body against mine, begging her to stop--even though neither of us wanted to.

So we didn't.

She let me kiss her out of her clothes until we--

"Elias?"

I shoot up in my seat when Jersey's hand grazes against my arm and pulls me out of my day dreams.

"Yeah? What's up? What's wrong?"

I sound like a spaz, I look like a spaz, and I'm acting like a spaz, but Jersey keeps smiling at me regardless.

She probably wouldn't be smiling if she knew what I was thinking about.

"Nothing, I was just asking if you were okay, but you didn't answer me the first three times so--"

Three times? Fuck.