Chapter 45 (Part 1) *NEW*

Elias

My mom literally sweeps Jersey off her feet the second she steps through the front door. No joke. Here I am, her second born, standing on the porch sweating through my clothes just trying to carry Jersey's stuff inside like the gentleman that I am, and my mom doesn't bat an eyelash in my direction.

The thing is, every time I come home (minus the time she forced me to because of rehab), she showers me with love.

Every. Single. Time.

People think big time events like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade are a huge deal. But it's got nothing on my mom's welcome home parties for me. There's always loads of food (all my favorites by the way), excessive amounts of hugs and kisses, and tears.

Tears of joy that only I can soothe away with my presence alone.

But look at her now. She hasn't looked at me once since I got out of the cab. Not. Once. So I figure I'll try the next best thing to get her attention. I wipe the sweat off my face with my free hand, place Jersey's bags in the front hallway, and then strategically position myself next to my mom so she has to notice me. But she doesn't.

She's too busy oohing and cooing over my girlfriend to realize that I'm there which---is unacceptable.

I straighten up, swallow my pride and throw my arms out so I can pull both my girls into a group hug. Very few women have had the honor of being able to share the arm span of the Elias King, so I tackle the two of them, and wait for the magic to happen.

"Got enough room for a little royalty, ladies?"

Jersey and my mom stop fawning all over each other and immediately shift their attention to me. Where it belongs.

"I'm sorry, did you just refer to yourself as--" Jersey says.

"A king. Yes. I did. And if I'm being honest, I'm feeling a little left out right now. Share the love niñas."

Jersey cocks an eyebrow and I get way too distracted staring at her adorably irritated face to notice my Mom's hand soaring towards the side of my head. She snatches my ear between her thumb and forefinger and bends me down until I'm eye level.

"Elias Alexander King, I did not raise you to be una persona egoísta que sólo se preocupa por sí mismo (a selfish person who only cares about himself). Stop complaining, put your things down, and go set the table while I show your beautiful novia (girlfriend) around the house."

I blink and my mom's already half way down the hallway ushering Jersey around like the daughter she never had. I leave my bags in the foyer and make my way towards the kitchen before my mom bites my head off for dragging my feet. Her place looks way different then it did last time I was here.

The furniture's all rearranged like the house got hit with a feng shui stick. My favorite couch has magically disappeared from the living room only to have been replaced by these yoga-looking cushions and floor mats. Last time I checked, my mom wasn't ever into sitting on the ground during her Ben and Jerry's movie nights.