Chapter 13 (Part 1)

NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO HEAR ELIAS SINGING & WANT TO HAVE A GOOD LAUGH LISTEN TO THE AUDIOBOOK NARRATED BY NOW BY CLICKING THE LINK ABOVE. ENJOY!

Alex

"How you feeling Los Angeles!? Who's ready for another song?!"

Ever had one of those moments where you look someone straight in the eye and immensely regret the fact that you know them?

Like when it's your first day of high school and your mom and dad can't just drop you off and drive away like normal parents, but walk you to your locker, sloppy kiss you in front of all your friends, and broadcast to the universe that they packed you your favorite Lunchables even though you outgrew them in the 3rd grade?

Or when you're at the grocery store and instead of paying for groceries like a normal person, your mom busts out a sack of coins and counts out fifty bucks in small change while the cashier silently judges you?

Or when your dad decides to re-enact 80's glam rock performances while your friends are in the car?

Yeah.

This is one of those moments--but worse.

Astronomically worse. As in, dig-a-hole-in-the-ground-and-die-of-embarrassment kinda worse.

Why?

Because Elias is currently parading around in his red-checkered boxers with a coke bottle microphone in one hand, and his guitar in the other, happily riling up the crowd like he's sold out the Staples Center.

The thing is, I wouldn't even mind all this if people weren't stopping to pay attention to him. In an ideal world, every single student and teacher who passed him by would shoot a couple judgey stares his direction, boo him, and then go about their merry way. Unfortunately, the universe as we know it has gone Elias King crazy, so instead of treating him like he's a crazy person, they're fangirling over his existence.

As in, girls-showed-up-with-fancy-DSLR-cameras-just-to-take-pictures-of-him level fangirling.

But you know what?

I'm actually happy they're here because if there weren't a glob of googley-eyed girls standing around, he'd totally see me. Which can't happen. The name of the game is incognito, and as long as Elias doesn't know I'm here things will be completely and totally f--

"This next song goes out to a very special someone standing in the crowd. Her face is like, super red right now so I'm not gonna put her on the spot, but babe, this next one's for you! Here we go!"

Elias's hands expertly dance across the strings of his guitar and all too familiar melody floats out from his fingers and into the air.

"Oh no, see you walkin' round like its a funeral, not so serious, girl why those feet cold? We just gettin' started don't you tip-toe, tip-toe. Waste time with a masterpiece, waste time with a masterpiece. You should be rollin' with me, you should be rollin' with me. You're a real life fantasy, you're a real life fantasy. But you're moving so carefully, let's start living dangerously! Talk to me Jersey, I'm going after this sweet craving, whoa-oh. Let's lose our minds and go fucking crazy. I-I-I-I-I-I keep on hoping we'll eat cake by the ocean."

Oh.

My.

Dear.

Sweet.

Lord.

I didn't know Elias could play guitar.

He's actually, pretty good.

But that voice though...

Yikes.

What is he doing?